Thursday, July 22, 2021

2021 USATF Masters National Championships - Day one

2021 USATF Masters National Championships - Day one from Ames, IA.   For me, the 400m prelims.   It was a good day.  It reminded me very much of my prelim in Malaga in 2018.

57.19

Not only is this a season's best and a new world leading time, it's the fastest 400m I've run since that prelim race in Malaga in Sept, 2018 when I ran 57.00.  It was 2.61 seconds faster than the next fastest qualifier ... which is a lot.  And... I did it from lane 1, the worst lane.  And best of all, it felt easy.  No rigging.  

I have no idea why I got lane one.  All 400m runners hate lane one because it's the lane with the longest turns.  The only real competitor in my heat, Brian H., scratched.  There was a guy who ran 61.  The first heat was the fastest, McDuffrie winning in 59.80.   

I went out into a headwind on the back stretch at a pedestrian 27.3 for the first 200m.... but I finished in a relaxed 29.9 for the last 200m.  It was closest to even splits as I've run in a meet.  My 300m split was about 42.0 which means my last 100m, was about 15.2.  Seems like I've finally figured out this race.  Not going to do much different tomorrow, and from a better lane, I hope to improve.  I'll have lane 4, and Mr. 'fake seed time' McDuffrie will be in 5, exactly where I want him.    

I was a little apprehensive before this race.  Had a sore foot after Tuesdays workout.  But now, all that is gone ... no aches or pains.  Not nervous.  Actually, confident and having a blast.  Tomorrow, the 400m final and the 100m prelim.  I have about 3 hrs in between.  







Heat 1 winner.... Not only does this guy enter fake seed times, he steps on the lane line numerous times, but doesn't get DQ'd.


1 comment:

  1. Great start to the championships, good luck in the next rounds. You`ve worked hard enough.

    David

    ReplyDelete