Saturday, April 16, 2011

Welcome and acknowledgement

The subtitle of this, what may largely become a "training blog," comes from World Master's Champion sprinter Bill Collins' book: "The Ageless Athletic Spirit." An inspiring book for all those who seek that 'inner ageless athletic spirit.' I will be quoting his book from time to time.

This blog is for me to take an organized approach to my training and for those fellow Masters athletes who'd like to share advice, stories, and experiences.

After a short stint as a 5k runner, I've come firmly back to my roots as a sprinter. I will endeavor to compete in sprint events no longer than 400m. I've found that sprint training, which does not involve lengthy distance running foundation work, is better for me in the long term, and is a 'whole body' approach that involves upper body strength, cross training, and core work. Off season foundation work for sprinters never involves running more than 2 to 3 miles at a time, and most seasonal running workouts involve track intervals. Racing is hard on the body and like drag racing, it's risky. All running workouts for the masters sprinter do not or rarely involve 100% full speed sprinting. That is reserved for competition.
I'm going to retroactively post my training history starting with my first workouts after suffering a hamstring strain during the 3/26 100m race at the Vanderbilt Black and Gold meet.

Best of luck to all Masters Athletes... stay healthy.

"Why run far when you can run fast."
- Bill Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment