Friday, April 22, 2011

Pre race day

SHIT.... I'm in lane one tomorrow for the 400m at the Vanderbilt Invitational. Lane one feels like a slow lane, it feels longer, more turn to run and a tighter curve. One study said:
Physics indicate that the runners in the outer lanes have an advantage over the runners in the inner lanes because of the wider curves. ... The curve produces a biomechanical disadvantage due to centrifugal force -- the force caused by changing direction from a straight line to a curved path. The centrifugal force causes the runners to expand extra energy in thrusting outward to get around a curve.
Whatevah....

Glad I found out I had lane one before my workout today so I could practice some block starts in lane one and run that curve. Here's what I did today.

400m warmup
sprinter school drills

Adidas spikes on.

@ 75% effort
400m - 66 sec

block starts from lane one running the curve:
@ 85-90% effort
2 x 50m
2 x 100m 13.5, 14

Spikes off, Spira training shoes on

@ 80% effort
2 x 200m - 30, 29

1 mile warmdown jog

I don't want to set too high of an expectation but I'd certainly like to go under 59. That should be well doable.

My target body weight has been achieved!! I was 136.2 after the workout and will eat a good protein low residual diet today and should be 136 by race time. I am about 9.7% body fat at race weight.

A great pre race day meal is a Vanilla Spiru-tein protein shake with cinnamon, apple flavored Hammer Gel, stevia sweetener, water and ice. Delicious. I can't emphasize enough that just because I've lost 23-24 lbs since the first of the year, I am NOT hungry. Intelligently knowing how to feed myself is a great thing ... very advantageous to health and athletic performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment