Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Pool

Worked out in the pool for 45 min today.  It felt great.  Water running and swimming.  Unfortunately, this was the last day for 10 days the pool will be open.  Spring break.

The water seemed cool at first, 79º... but after getting out then getting back in, seemed warm.  I did 10 laps of the 25 yd pool (down and back). Then swam hard for 300m.  I water ran for about 25-30 min.  For most of the time, my heart rate was a nominal mid 120s... same as it would be after the first of a moderate 200m.   Not much of a workout.   So, I did the last bit at sprint turnover, as fast as possible, and got my heart rate up to close to 140.  Nothing like real running.  In fact, swimming is an overall better full body workout, but mostly upper.

Last night, I did a good 25 min hill set on the stair master plus some weights.   Stairmaster always is a good sweat.  It's quite a toil. 

I'm going to start running again on turf tomorrow or the next day. 

--------------
FREE TIME!

Due to the virus pandemic, most colleges including MTSU have extended Spring Break a week and will be going online after that.   That seems to be the trend for nearly every major University.

However, were I teach part time in Sewanee, they have (in my opinion) foolishly bucked the trend.  The college president made the rigid imperative announcement that Sewanee will "NOT" (his emphasis) be closing after spring break.  I see this as irresponsible.  A more prudent course of action would have been a flexible statement contingent on developing conditions.  Sewanee is a utopia of sorts, an isolated mountain top community that could be a haven of refuge from a deadly pandemic, but unfortunately, the university president is summoning all the students back after spring break, by his imperative which shows no effort to be flexible.   As a fellow faculty said to me, "we're pretty safe up here on the mountain... until all the students come back from break.  Who knows where they've been or who they've been exposed to."   With this action, and a virus with a long incubation period, bringing infected students back to this mountain would essentially turn this community into an infected cruise ship.  I hope not.


No comments:

Post a Comment