Tuesday, November 19, 2019

back sliding

Running for just the 2nd time in 5 weeks.  It was hard and frustrating.  My feet hurt, the plantar fasciitis is persistent but I think slightly better, the arthritis in right foot persists.  My hope is that the feet will slowly improve but at this point, I can not run more than once a week and nothing fast.

I started 2 intervals and pulled up short, not so much because of foot pain, but just afraid I would injure it further and I'm not accustomed to the pain of training yet.  It was discouraging.

Hoka trainers on
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
50m stride - 8 
600m - 1:59 
100m stride on grass - 14.09 
200m - 29

The 600m was an 800m cut short and the 200m was a 400m cut short.  I definitely feel as if I were n better shape 5 weeks ago when I ran a 62.3 400m.  Back in the summer when I was swimming daily and lifting more upper body, I felt as if I were on my way.  This workout was a wakeup call and a reminder of the level of pain and sacrifice it's going to take to get back to world class masters elite level.   At this age, it's always a risk that I could spend a lot of time, pain, and effort and not get there, due to injury or just unable to attain the level I want.  I guess it's about the journey.

After the 600m, my feet felt ok.  With a nagging injury I'm trying to train through, it's always a risk to try to do too much or too often.  I'm a bit impatient but I have time.  I just hate to keep starting over.  This injury is exacerbated specifically by high speed sprinting.  Especially sprinting on turns and in spikes... both of which I'm itching to do.  I still haven't been able to test my all out speed since the knee surgery, but I've been up to 90 -95% but no full out acceleration, no blocks.  Everything I've been doing has been with a rolling start.

My weight isn't ideal, still well under 150 lbs but far from lean.

Last night, after my track workout, I dragged my ass to the gym to do stairmaster a little upper body and some squats.   Glad I did.

I will persevere.  Hopefully on the track in a week.   If anything, I can tell my foot is not quite as sore today than it was after my last track workout, so that's progress. 

1 comment:

  1. I sincerely appreciate keeping up with our 'Renaissance Man' since we don't speak as much as I'd wish. Oh yes, you are many things Dr. Billy, but 'back slider' ain't one of them!!!

    ReplyDelete