Monday, September 23, 2019

more 800s

Slightly cooler weather in Sewanee... finally.  In the 70's on Friday.

Unfortunately, it seems as my plantar fasciitis is making a comeback, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to the 2 day a week track schedule.  Nevertheless, I gutted out 2 x 800 a bit faster than last time.
Hoka trainers on  
250m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 800m - 2:41, 2:49
The second one really hurt, not just my foot, but I probably ran the first one too fast for my level of fitness.   My last 400 was a dragging 88 seconds.

I don't want this plantar issue to get worse, so maybe I'll have to cross train and keep my running to once a week.  I'll see how it feels after a few days.  Just as my knee approaches 100%, I get this issue with my left foot.  It's the same L foot that plagued me during the '18 indoor season, but not the foot where I have the talonavicular joint issue, that is my right foot.  When the left foot starts feeling worse than the right foot, it's definitely a problem. 

The final word on the Hoka transaction, looks like I was scammed.  I'm surprised the company keeps communicating with me.  They sent me a list of junk shoes to choose as a replacement, not one Hoka of any kind on the list.   This website is a fraudulent bait and switch: https://www.hokaestore.com/


UPDATE:
Meant to post this in Friday but just saved this draft.   My L foot plantar issue is real and I'm likely to take a week off from the track, next workout probably not til Sept. 30.  However, biking, swimming, water running, and lifting all OK.   Got a carpal tunnel injection and it has allowed me to sleep normally.  One of my friends, an elite runner swears by low level laser treatment for plantar fasciitis.  My insurance doesn't cover it but it may be worth a try.  It costs less or about the same as a massage.  It's also been used for carpal tunnel.

2 comments:

  1. You may have already looked at these options, but here are 2 things I found helpful in dealing with plantar fasciitis: (1) Toe lifts with negative heel drop -- starting very cautiously and slowly extending the range of motion. Over a period of a few weeks, they seemed to stretch and strengthen the affected area.
    Also of use were (2) rigid insoles (a fairly inexpensive model by Sporthotic may still be out there), which dramatically reduced running discomfort while training. They are hard to run fast with, but definitely worth it for maintaining fitness while healing.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do a heel raises from a negative heel drop, with and without added weight. It has helped a lot. I use a Profoot insert, very cheap but more effective than any I've tried. It wasn't real bad this time, should be running after 11 days off the the track ... by this Friday hopefully.

      Delete