Sunday, October 1, 2017

First official training day

On my home track today on a crisp autumn day, cool and clear, little wind, in the 60ºs.  Suffered a lot today due to my lack of conditioning, even though I didn't run real fast.  It was still a hard workout.
Hoka trainers on 
300m warmup, stretches, drills 
800m - 2:49 
600m - 1:53 
300m - 44.5
I ran the 800m fairly brisk but didn't kill myself, about 10 seconds slower than my first foundation 800s after my break in May.  I felt slow, but to be expected this early.  These are comparable times to my foundation workouts in Oct '15.  It's just daunting the amount of work I'll have to do to run fast again.  Indoor Nationals are a long ways away ... 23+ weeks.   I don't think I'll be able to or should put in a volume workout more than once a week.  I think for this stage of the season, 2 or 3 times a week on the track is plenty plus weights and cross training.  As I get older, I can't do the same volume I once did.  But, I need foundation.  One workout a week of 800s and 600s for the next 6 weeks.  I will be mixing in some speed too.  I'm going to race in 3 weeks in Chattanooga to see where I am.  Be lucky to break 59 in the 400m.

Although I'm not terribly heavy, 145.5 after workout, I'm carrying about 4 lbs of fat I didn't have 2 months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment