Saturday, October 7, 2017

doesn't come easy

Getting back in shape isn't coming easy.  Does it ever?  I'm a little tired of being soft and slow.  With a hurricane heading this way for tomorrow, I decided to get out and get it done today.  I got a good hard mtn bike ride in yesterday. Today, due to a Sewanee game, the track there was unavailable so I went to the hard tartan track at SAS school at 5pm.
Hoka trainers on 
350m warmup, stretches, drills 
800m - 2:43 
600m - 1:52 
300m - 45
Same workout as last weekend.  Hurt just as much but just a tad faster.  I think an early season schedule of track, weights, rest - a 3 day cycle will be ok for a while with some biking and occasional hills or stairs thrown in.  At least 2 days off track for every day on.  So, I can be back on track Tues.

Still using 'tricks' to save wear on my feet: alternating pairs of trainers in between warmup and sprints, sometimes even between sprints, using very heavy padded 'mountaineering socks'.

It's mentally tough to start this training because I'm haunted by my lack of improvement at the end of the season despite a lot of really hard work.  If I could only manage a 57 after all that, what am I going to do this yr?

I'm not really super heavy, 145.8 after workout, but I haven't eaten yet today.  I set a pretty high bar for myself in terms of leanness and fitness, and I feel really soft... due to an extra 4+ lbs and a loss of muscle mass.  Time to cut the carbs.  Roasted vegs tonight.   No potatoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment