Monday, September 10, 2012

Briefly back to the track

It's been a long time since I've really done anything. Just some ab and upper body work this week.   I'm still ridiculously light - 138.0 this morning - even after buying a dozen bagels and cream cheese in an effort to gain some weight.  Had ice cream and pasta this week as well.  My face is breaking out a little from eating dairy fat.

My MRI report was not good.  Showed significant articular cartilage damage on my right knee, which does not bode well for a long career of masters track.   The knee feels fine.  Probably because my meniscus is fine.  It is also important to remember that although the amount of damage is an important factor, the location of the defect can also influence the symptoms in terms of pain and function. Pain is not a good indicator for determining the extent of articular cartilage damage. One person can have severe pain with a single small defect while another person can have very little pain with several large full thickness defects ... according to what I've read.

After a pretty sleepless night, I got up before 4:00 am and chatted with my guitar maker friend on line, then I decided to hit the track at 6:30.

I did what I said I wasn't going to do.  I put the spikes on and ran fast.
600m warmup on grass, stretches, drills 
Saucony spikes on
2 x 400m @ 90% - 58, 60.5
Felt ok.  Pretty fast considering my shape and the effort.   Again, the knee feels ok.  I need to get to a followup consultation to get an idea of my condition and the prognosis.

I welcome any suggestions on how I may be able to best use this meeting, what questions to ask, etc...


2 comments:

  1. Don't know much about knees and such but you'll benefit from the cardio, endorphins, and feeling of 'wellness'. All good!

    ReplyDelete