Tuesday, November 21, 2023

2 bike climbs

I spent Sunday and Monday on the boat and met up with Bill M. to do a Sunday bike climb on Raccoon mtn.  It was nice, cool, sunny 60ºs,  falling into the 50ºs on the way back.   Both times I climbed to the first overlook in 36-37 min. (PR is 34:45).  We rested there then climbed to the top, went to the visitors center overlook and around the reservoir averaging about 17-18 mph on the flat.

These bike climbs I think are good for strength and burning calories, but I do not think they appreciably increase my track speed or V02 max.  It's about the closest thing I do to 'traditional cardio' but it's like 37 min of zone 3 to 4 heart rate then another set of about 20-30 min in zone 3.   

I love being on the boat as these days as it's my last chance for the season.   It's arguably the most beautiful 3 mile stretch of the 600+ mile TN River.  I could count on one hand the number of boats I saw out there in those 2 days.  

Oddly, I had a trailer tire come apart just as I was entering the long bridge across the river.  Amazingly, although the tread peeled off, the tire never lost pressure.  I had 2 spares, but only one was mounted.  (I got the other mounted today and ordered a second).  I don't think I ever had a trailer tire go flat for 10-15 yrs, then the last three consecutive times it's happened.  Very weird.

The track meet on Dec 10 has been canceled so I'm going to open my season on Dec 16.  Unfortunately, I have to be in Murfreesboro that morning, so, long drive.  I'll be racing in the evening.  

It's turning colder but I'm going to go out at least 2 more times before I put the boat away.   I rather like cool weather cruising.  My canvas is pretty tight, and propane heater and electric blanket make it comfortable.  There are some nights forecast below freezing in the next week, but that's ok, nothing below 28º.  I can put off winterizing with space heaters.  

Here are some photos.







































4 comments:

  1. Well your bike pics answered a couple of questions I had, first geometry is relaxed due to seat height, that is better for upper back/neck and works well if you are mainly climbing. Secondly pedals but it looks like you are not wearing bike shoes. Are you using the clipless set up? About your climbs and track applicability, not only does the type/intensity not translate to the track but ROM is quite a bit different, limiting applicability even with a tailored workout. But again a sprint/interval bike workout would develop track type fitness but again would not completely translate to track performance due to ROM. Do 10 seated repeat sprints with a rolling 10 mph start, starting in a low gear and when RPM hits low 100’s shift up until you hit 26 to 28 mph (or whatever is difficult to hit but achievable for most of the sprints). This works good on a half mile block sprint one straight and pedal easy the rest. Then rest a few minutes and do three long intervals of 1.5 to 2 minutes RPM’s in the upper 90’s. Preferably up a gradual hill, something that is no slower than 14 mph. This type of workout will be lung busting. One of these a week might be a good track complement, assuming it doesn’t take away from other training (only so many days per week and recovery is needed). I’m doing one of these a week it’s efficient and effective. Done in 50 minutes vs 3 to 4 hrs for mountain biking (with 30 mins drive to and from).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also best with clipless pedals and pull over the top. Stay seated- I slide a bit forward and sit on the nose so I can maximize the contribution from the muscles that lift/pull over the top especially during the acceleration phase. Focus on that as opposed to gear mashing. Might take a couple of workouts to optimize your particular method but would clearly translate better than long climbs to your discipline assuming enough rest and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using clipless pedals because it is better for my foot to not push from the forefoot but from the mid foot. On Sat, I may try something different, like what you suggested or even run some uphill 400s.

      Delete
  3. Consider getting custom cranks certainly your cranks are too long for your leg length unnecessarily stressing your knees. Longest you should ride are 155mm. Assuming you have 170mm this allows your seat to raise 15 mm which reduces total reach 30 mm significantly reducing knee angle and stress. Also leg can exert more force when it is straighter. Would allow improved pedaling mechanics. I use 155 on my indoor recumbent set up - put the on for my wife and left them on. Puts the stress in different spots both muscularly and knee joint wise. There are multiple suppliers out there. Jut need to make sure they are compatible with your drive train. https://speedandcomfort.com/products/alloy-24mm-short-crankset-155mm

    ReplyDelete