Friday, August 25, 2023

swimming

Hey John, are these the dog days?

Yes, I'd say so.  "My ever-lastin' summer I can see it fading fast." ... coming to the end of an epic 4 month vacation.  

The past 4 days have been exactly the same.  Hot, humid, sunny, low 90ºs with a heat index over 100º.   I've done almost the exact same thing everyday.  Morning, split a little firewood.  Noon, watch the World Athletics Championships on USA network or Peacock til 3pm, and then go to the lake on the cycle and swim across and back.  4 or 5 pm, home for afternoon tea and play guitar.   It haven't seen it rain since the day I left for Canada on 2 weeks ago today.   So, it's a good time to deal with firewood.  Same weather for tomorrow.  No possibility of rain til Sun/Mon.  Just got a new roof and gutters so it would be good to see how they do.

My V02 max and sprint endurance is in the shitter by now.  I can tell just by my swimming and water running.  It goes away fast, some say in 9 days or so.  Especially fast for me because I've never been an endurance athlete.  It takes about 90-95 strokes to cross the lake.  I can get about 75-80 in usually, but now I tire by 44-50.   So, I think I'll try to run a little by next weekend, as my aches and pains are going away.  Knee and feet feel better already.   Maybe I can start like I did last August with 1 running session/ week.  I'm not even biking yet.  

It's astonishing that I have had this lake totally to myself for an hour or so, 4 days in a row.  

This photo was taken by a photography student who I met at the lake just before I left for Nationals in July.  He just texted me this photo, (a rare film photo, not digital).  I've probably gained about 4 to 5 lbs since then.   

Not eating badly but not great since I'm back from ATL.  Generally plant based, beans, corn, seed crackers w/ almond butter and preserves, protein ice cream, chocolate, tomato sandwiches on bread, watermelon.  

144.5 lbs after my swim.  




6 comments:

  1. No reason to lose VO2 max. Go to a pool and do 10 100’s on the two minute mark. Push the 100’s. Or rower repeats. Row 5 500’s at about 2:06 with 1 min recovery at 2:30 pace in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I'm not in favor of 'totally unsupervised swimming'!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah me either, pool for me with a lifeguard. The closest I came to drowning was swimming out to the rock at Mr Y’s Canada cottage after eating breakfast, got halfway there and almost puked, struggled to not throw up float and not sink. Eventually got to the rock and stayed there for a long time till I felt better and got over the fear.

    ReplyDelete