Monday, August 14, 2023

Canadian Masters Athletic Championships - meet report




No fast times, stiff headwinds for the 100/200, no competition, 3 Golds.   Calling it a season.  After 13 meets and 25 races, I'm so done.  So, today we're off to Whistler for a vacation  

I underestimated the toll this season has taken on my body and foot.  I do think I'll recover soon but I need a break from running.   I really should not have raced the 400m in this meet.   It wasted me for Sunday's 200m.  Even if I was fresh, the conditions were not good to run a good time with the stiff headwind.  Glad I didn't come here specifically for this meet.  The competition was very thin.  Hard to believe this was Canada's finest.  They made me look like a superstar, even running slow times: 12.95 (-1.3), 26.91 (-2.6), 59.00.   

200m

Limped off the track on Sat after easily winning the 100m and 400m, and by the time of the 200m on Sunday, it was tough to warm up.  (Probably ate a bit too much on Sat night as well as we went to a waterfront seafood restaurant).   But with the capsaicin cream kicking in, I got ready and did a few strides, just wanting to get it done.  It was hot, but low humidity compared with TN, so it only felt hot in the sun. 

I was feeling OK by the time I got in the blocks.  I actually got a very good start and opened a 10m lead by the time I hit the straight and extended it to at least 20m by the finish.  Stiff headwind the whole way, especially coming off the turn.  


100m
After 3 false starts, we finally got away and my start was just ok.  I won by more than 10m, and it was probably my best race.   At least I ran under 13 into a headwind.  That time would have won at Penn and medaled at Nationals.  

400m
I unfortunately ran from lane 2 and had Greg, the fastest Canadian to my outside.   He got a rather slow start and I never saw him after 30m.  It was just between me and Dave who was in M55.  I pulled up even with him at the top of the stretch and we were even with about 50m to go, then he turned on his world class speed and beat me by several meters.  I was pissed I missed running under 59 .... exactly 59.00.  Dave is the M55 world Champion in the 100/200.  He ran 11.36 this season.  Greg finished in M60 a few seconds behind.   

I was happy to see Greg, Mark, and the Canadian team smash the M60 4x800m world record later that day.  They bettered it by a whopping 13 sec.   I delivered the news to Pete, who had been talking to me about making an attempt on that WR, but he had kept me hanging for weeks, so glad to NOT be doing that in a few weeks.   I do think this record by the Canadian team has put it out of reach for the US team.  They'd have to average 2:19, it would be a stretch.  

Vancouver

So, after the 200m, Roya and I went into Vancouver to enjoy the city and get a taste of the Granville Is. Public Market.  What strikes me about Vancouver is the ethnic diversity, Indians, Persians, Asians... it's really great.  Roya was hearing Farsi being spoken everywhere.  The waterfront was very clean, virtually no garbage or plastic floating around.  We walked through the shipyard and by the docks, there were some fresh seafood outlets.  I had a fresh lobster roll:
Roya had an Asian noodle dish, and we also got some granola bars from a bakery.  

I felt totally stuffed even though I hadn't really eaten that much.  Was really tired by the time we got back to the hotel. 

Today, we leave for Whistler.  We have tickets for the Peak to Peak Gondola on Tuesday, and the Joffre Lakes Provincial Park on Wed.  


I'll post more photos of Vancouver soon....

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy!!! You and Roya deserve it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth, Bill, I was inspired by your comment of "Hard to believe this was Canada's finest" to do a small bit of research. The answers: 2023 populations of 38.25 million for Canada and 335.2 million for the US. Yes, there are not many people up there, which should have an impact on their performance.

    Regardless, you have had a great 2023.

    Peter L. Taylor
    Fairfax, Virginia*

    * Only race of any consequence I ever won was as a freshman in high school, where I won the 440 yards in 60.0 in a two-school meet. No, there was no FAT, and no one above 9th grade was allowed to compete (there might have been some 8th-graders who showed up, but I can't remember).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Population of Jamica is just under 3 million (1/10th of Canada, 1/100th of USA), has never stopped them producing great athletes. There are numerous other more important factors than population size.

      Delete
    2. Jamaica, with its small population, has produced great athletes for decades, and that is well understood. It absolutely destroys big countries in terms of outcomes. I was looking at the Canada: US comparison.

      Delete
    3. Michael Johnson explains: https://youtu.be/oD2pbpibmlg

      Delete
  3. Changing subjects, there are top notch dispensaries in Vancouver, suggest you tour one to see how things have changed since our teenage years. Mind blowing. Of course window shopping only.

    ReplyDelete