Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Detraining, gaining weight

Finally back in Sewanee.   As I mentioned previously, last year I took one week off from running then began again on Aug 8 with 1 running workout a week.  This year, I'm going to need more of a break.  My feet and knee were still hurting a bit after the mountain hiking in BC.    

Even after the 2 days of hiking, on my first 'day off,' I climbed to the top of the Olympic ski jump in Whistler.  (I really wish I had this staircase and hill to train on regularly).  This was the first time I had been at the top of a ski jump since I climbed one at age 10 in Slovakia.  

Due to the slope, you can't even see the top in this photo.  After about 500 steps, then there's the 100' tower.

While in Whistler, I had some incredibly tasty food that I always avoid.  The fried fish and chips with garlic fries were so good, I returned the next night and had the exact same thing.  Amazing.  

On the last day in Whistler, we took a sea plane flight from Green Lake over the glacier fields.  The heavy old Otter seaplane ride was a bit unnerving at times because we were really close to the cliffs and the plane felt like it was barely making it.  The pilot told me it doesn't fly over 10,000'.   The views were tremendous.  At altitude, the glaciers seem to go on as far as the eye could see.  



















A couple snags on the way home... we almost missed our connection in Toronto because we stood in the wrong line to get our boarding passes and had to ask permission to get past the line at passport check and run through the airport.  I couldn't find my car keys and thought Roya had them, but she said no, and later found them.... in her purse.  

Back in Atlanta, the decline continued.  Had my once a year pizza and it wasn't particularly unhealthy - cauliflower crust and vegetables, light cheese.  But, the trip to the French bakery, not so healthy...

Back in Sewanee, I swam across the lake yesterday and did some water running, and will again today.  It's the hottest weather of the year.  The students haven't returned and the lake was ethereally quiet, had the place totally to myself, and it was seemingly cool considering the heat index.   I was doing ok, staying under 145 lbs, but after eating a lot yesterday, I maxed out at 147, so I'm going to fast a bit today.  

Really enjoying the last days of summer, watching the spectacular IAAF World Championships.  Was up at 4:00am today watching the 200m prelims and the polevault.  5 more days to come.  Track and field heaven.  Will definitely need a nap.

I will probably refrain from any leg exercise including biking for the remainder of the week and see what it feels like next week. However, I may move some wood today which is alway hard work.  Now at 10 days post running. 

   


2 comments:

  1. Unqestionably, you deserve the 'indulgences' ... Great year. Bill .... Dad

    ReplyDelete