Sunday, August 1, 2021

Gear lust - curiosity gets the best of me... new spikes

Some stunning performances at the Olympics ... especially with the women 100m sprinters.  And an Italian winning the mens 100m?   What!?

What almost all of these 100m finalists have in common is that they're all wearing the new Nike Air Zoom Maxfly racing spikes.  These appear to be a revolutionary shoe.   Usain Bolt said in an article that he thinks the shoe may give an unfair advantage.  Anyway, it sure seems to have helped the women... when was the last time we saw two women run 10.6s?   And both Shelly and Elaine were wearing these.  So were the Gold and Silver winners in the mens.  

The now banned Nike Viper Fly
(not the shoes I bought)
Nike had pushed too far apparently when they produced the now unavailable 'Viper Flys' ... they were in fact deemed illegal.  These are NOT the shoes I bought.

I haven't received them yet but the Air Zoom Maxflys do look different.  Most spikes are very minimalist with a stiff plastic or carbon fiber plate and very little else between the foot and track.   These have the stiff spike plate, but sandwiched between the foot and plate are two air bladders, presumably designed to give spring.  

We'll see how these work for me.  I use risers so I'm used to racing in a shoe that has a higher forefoot, and I think my risers may be compatible with this shoe, unless they used a proprietary non standard spike thread.  I hope not.  

It is said to weigh about 5.5 oz, which would mean closer to 5.0 oz in my size.  My Pumas are about 5.5.

They seem to have a tough looking lace/lockdown system that doesn't rely solely on a fabric or material but on plastic.  

They are sold out everywhere in my size, so I actually paid more than retail ($180) for them at a reputable bidding site (not ebay).  On ebay these are selling for $310-350 ... way more than I would spend.  But, I did spend more than $200, I must admit.  We'll see how they feel.  I should have them in a week or so.  


NIKE Air Zoom Maxfly








From Nike:

The carbon-fiber Flyplate has been specifically tuned to provide runners with the rigidity they need for maximum propulsion, and the Zoom Air unit under the forefoot offers excellent stability and responsiveness that allow you to push harder around the track. For versatility during longer sprints and hurdles, Nike added ZoomX foam to the midsole for underfoot protection that doesn’t sacrifice weight or efficiency. The outsole and upper on the Air Zoom Maxfly have the design and performance details needed to get an edge on the competition. The Shockwave outsole provides complimentary traction to the 7-pin spike plate, and the Flyweave upper offers an exceptional lockdown with a lightweight and comfortable fit.

1 comment:

  1. The Maxfly look nice, but the consensus as far as Tokyo is concerned is that the track is advantaged by special engineering, amounting to about 1% faster, so a 10.0 sec race becomes 9.9.

    ReplyDelete