Sunday, August 8, 2021

300s, 'split 400' / Maxfly first look

 Another Saturday evening yesterday on the Sewanee track, and it was a pleasant evening... mid 70ºs, sunny, light south winds.  The track was a ghost ship... very quiet.  I actually though about doing a huge tempo set this evening but ... not at this point of the season.   Quality, moderate volume.  Started with an easy 300m, then did 2 more quickly, the last one a 'split 400m'.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2 x 100m

50m - 6.63

300m - 44.48

300m - 42.51 (27.17, 15.34)

'split 400':  300m - 42.59 / 60 sec rest / 100m - 14.06

It felt fine.  I had done the big bike climb from the boat at Raccoon Mtn. on Thursday, and Thursday evening, I took a spill on my bike when returning to my boat in Chattanooga, however I fell on soft grass.  My shoulder was sore on Friday and I had a dinner invite, so I took Friday off.   With the slight hip soreness the day after workout, I may do only 2 more significant workouts before racing in Canada on Sat.  

138.9 lbs after workout.

I have no illusions that I'll better my times from Nationals in Toronto, but it'll be a great experience and I hope to get the meet records.  Canada is just opening the border tomorrow, and with the new covid outbreak, I'll have to get tested, so I have an appt in Monteagle on Wed, morning just before I leave for FL.  (I'll be visiting parents and flying to Toronto from Orlando for the weekend).  I will be wearing my last new super protective N100 mask on the plane for sure.  Just ordered 2 more.

Today, I got my new high tech Nike Maxfly sprint spikes.  I'll probably give them a few strides later today to see how they feel.  I'm wearing them now and they fit super snug on the forefoot, but the length is nominal.  They're going to need some breaking in for sure.  The nylon upper has almost no flex. At first they were uncomfortable but now they're feeling ok.  Seem to fit like a track spike should.  I have to unlace them completely to get them on.   They weigh almost identical to what my Pumas weigh, just 1 gram less.  They accept my risers; and with the combination of the risers and the integrated foam/air bladder, they make me effectively an inch taller.... which is definitely helpful.  In addition to the added inch of leg length... in my opinion, the risers also help distribute ground force and limit excess spike penetration my a millimeter or 2.  I'm surprised that this technology was abandoned.  Here we have a meeting of the best of both worlds, the new and the old.    I'll write more on these when I run with them.  These could be my new spike.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment