Thursday, June 25, 2020

tempo 300s / Bob Lida

The track was totally quiet when I got there, quite a change from the last time with all those walkers.  I had the place to myself and it was beautiful, perfect 75º and calm winds.

Today was the dreaded 4 x 300m tempo workout.

Hoka trainers on 
4 x100m strides on grass, stretches, drills  
4 x 300m w/ 2:30 rest in between - 47.56, 49.69, 50.71, 53.41 (50.34 avg) 
100m strider

It was a bitch as always and I really suffered bad on #4 because I probably ran the first one too fast.  It was about the same avg as my last set of 4x3s 2 weeks ago.

I was game to do more but the body said no after I tested it with a 100m strider.  May now take 2 days off from the track and do weights and cross train.  142.5 lbs after workout.

-----------

The world's fastest man over 80 is gone.  I got word this evening that Bob Lida has died at the age of 83.  He was hero to many and a giant in the masters track world.   I met Bob at Nationals in 2012.  I saw him again in Korea, and in Spain for the last time.  In Korea, he broke the 200m M80 WR in a time that exceeded the outdoor WR by 0.40 seconds.  He told me that he was going to run the 400m although he said, "I didn't train for it."  He then set the indoor 400m M80 WR, just missing the outdoor WR by less than 0.20.

No word on cause of death but he was apparently hospitalized for 2 weeks prior.  (Could've been a virus?)  RIP Bob.  Thanks for the inspiration.




No comments:

Post a Comment