Tuesday, December 3, 2019

On track and gym

Cool, 37º,  hazy sunshine, and mostly calm winds today on the Sewanee track.  37º can feel very cold or t-shirt weather depending on wind and sun.  Today, it was just sunny enough, with enough calm wind to do runs in a sleeveless T. 

I felt a slight amount of heel soreness before and after the workout.  Probably not significantly better in the past week, but not worse.  Overall, the workout went well.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
800m - 2:41 
400m - 65
It felt good, strong, tiring but not exhausting.  I used my coveted Clifton 1 trainers with a lot of K tape and cushioned socks.  I was able to run the last 100m in each interval fairly strong.   It was cold enough that I used the men's room to tape up and change shoes. 

The 800m was even split and as fast as any I've done this training season.   The 400m wasn't too bad.  Makes me think I could still run 60 flat in race conditions if my foot were 100% an I could use blocks and spikes.  The foot really feels fine after the workout, but it often gets sore days later.  I was discussing this with elite masters and AR holder Sonja, she has plantar fasciitis for the 3rd time and remarked at how 'mysterious' this injury is, how it comes and goes, how it heals.

Last night, I dragged my butt to the gym.  Went back and forth whether I should go, but glad I went.  On Monday I stayed home and did an ab/hip flexor set which left me a little sore.  Last night I upped the ante on my glute 'super sets' ... I did 225 reps w/ 350lbs each side in 7 sets: 50, 5x25, 50.   I definitely feel the added strength, now I just need to eat more protein.   This machine has been integral to my strength and I hope these dumbells of added weight that I'm stashing behind one of the machines don't suddenly disappear.  It would be really terrible. 

I may not be back on the track for 10-14 days due to a fatty cyst I'm having removed from my back on Friday.  So, I'm glad I got this one in. 






No comments:

Post a Comment