Been doing daily resistance work and my weight has been good, in the 142s last few days. In an effort to allow my knee to recover, I've eliminated hard standing bike sprints and hill climbs. But, I've been doing the same biking but seated and not as much. I do think this is compromising my V02 max but at least I'm pretty strong, yesterday another PR pullup set - 26 although the last one was a bit of a kip cheater. The remarkable thing is that I have gained a bit of lean muscle mass without eating much protein.
The last two 2.5 mile bike sprints in which I've stayed seated have been more than a minute off my PR of 9:21 for all out standing sprints. The first one wasn't a strong effort.
Aug 1 (seated) bike sprint:
Time - 10:48
Avg speed - 12.5 mph
Max HR - 156
Avg HR - 143
Aug 4 (seated) bike sprint:
Time - 10:32
Avg speed - 13 mph
Max HR - 172 (178 spike 50 sec afterward)
Avg HR - 161
I had that weird spike after finishing this run, (178). I think it's actually a sign of losing fitness.
I only plan on doing such rides 2 or max 3x / week. Really focusing on the rest and healing of my knee. I am getting an off-loader brace and may experiment with using it on the bike, rower, hiking, stairmaster, etc...
I was at a conference today and a music colleague asked me if I was retired from track I said probably but haven't made the decision 100% yet. As I become more involved with preparing myself to play concerts again, I find the decision to walk away from track a bit easier. It always tugs on me when I see colleagues racing but I am enjoying getting up in the morning with no knee pain, walking, and climbing stairs also with no pain. If I do test the waters and try to run a little, it won't be for at least 5 to 8 weeks (late Sept/ Oct.). I went to the track today and just stretched, no drills. Avoided the temptation to run, although I felt I could have.
As I am officially elderly now, I am most concerned with staying alive, well, and disease free. Speaking of that, I had a major round of tests and with the help of Claude AI, I was able to refine some of my issues.
Testing / wellness
I think the tests I had were a bit skewed by 2 consecutive meals of this high fiber protein fortified pasta I had not eaten previously - most affecting kidney and TriG readings. Regarding the tests, I had the usual moderately high small molecule lipids: LDL (147), Triglycerides (162), ApoB (130), and too little HDL (40). oxLDL was high (83), and kidney function low - GFR (58) due to high creatinine (1.36). Also homocysteine was high (16.2). AI suggests testing for folate and B12 insufficiency, which I plan to do next week. That would explain these readings and be an easy fix. I'm also going to repeat cystatin-C.
On the plus side, my inflammation markers, and glucose / insulin handling is very good. Both my inflammation markers hsCRP and IL-6 were optimal - below the minimum reference level - too low to measure. Fasting glucose good (92), fasting insulin optimal (4.2), and HbA1c 5.5 - normal.
Also, the innate lipid particle Lp(a) is optimal for me, below minimum reference level.
So in general, a mixed bag. I also found from my genome through Nebula Genomics, that I have a maximum (100%) polygenic tendency to develop high Apolipoprotein B. This makes sense and is confirmed by numerous relatives with heart disease. All of my testing, in particular my lipid fractionation tests, point to a very high risk assessment of cardio vascular disease, but fortunately not compounded by other factors such as inflammation, Lp(a), and high HbA1c.... not to mention no alcohol, no smoking, normal BP, low fat low carb diet etc... It is very clear that animal fat is not the only issue in developing heart disease, it also is caused by sugar and carbs. (Roya's younger brother is a vegan and had to have his heart stented due to heart disease).
It is very likely that my 400m training over the past decade+ has kept me relatively disease free, not to mention the low carb diet. Compared to the avg American, my diet is ridiculously clean. About the worst things I eat are high fiber Wasa crackers with fig preserves which I mix with psyllium husk fiber, and Royo high carb bread (30 cal a slice). Also occasional bowls of blueberries. I have a pretty big list of things I almost never eat... including common foods like pizza, chips, potatoes, butter, eggs, margarine, high fat dairy, fried food, boxed cereals, regular bread, regular rice, cookies, pies, baked goods, no beef or pork in 35 yrs. I replaced skim milk with unsweetened almond milk. The only fats I eat are small amounts of olive oil, walnuts, and sunflower seeds. I use the allulose/monkfruit sweetener. I even started filtering my espresso through paper to eliminate LDL increasing compounds like cafestol. Low protein and occasional fish / chicken. Sometimes go a week + vegan. Somtetimes I will eat canned skinless boneless sardines in water.
I will likely consider preventative medication, especially if I can get a CCTA scan to test for soft plaque and it is positive. That is the goal of my next appt. To make the case for a CCTA scan. I have been resistant to drugs up until now, but now may be the time to consider it - considering my small molecule particle burden as shown by my Apolipoprotein B1/A ratio.
I'm really digging the incredible self pay pricing on Goodlabs.com test broker.
To good health!
Eggs, beef and pork, silly for a senior sprinter to ignore these food sources, might even help with the knee recovery.
ReplyDeleteOk RFK
DeleteYea, if I hadn't ever measured my ApoB ratio, small particle lipid burden via 2 types of fractionation tests, if I didn't have a brother and parents with established heart disease as well as relatives who have died of it, and polygenic confirmation of predisposition via an analysis of my genome.... maybe I would be eating eggs, beef, and pork. Those who do, rarely have this level of information, glad I do. Same people who probably take peptides, TRT, follow RFK and think Fauci is a killer. lol
DeleteHow ironic that you make RFK the villian and Fausci the hero. Warped brain-washed liberals.
ReplyDeleteFor Mr. RFK fan. https://www.facebook.com/share/r/1DM8ugbFh4/?mibextid=wwXIfr
DeleteSame people who believe an Olympian on a bike attacked the reflecting pool. Definitely an educational component here. My advise is to take your conspiracy theories to a high quality AI search and fact check them.
DeleteAnother one for the RFK fan https://www.facebook.com/share/v/18JdwZPRuR/?mibextid=wwXIfr
ReplyDeleteIt's obvious eggs, beef and pork are great source of protein.
ReplyDeleteIf you're a vegan or a soyboy, you'll find out that protein becomes more important for senior active males, also helps recovery and healing.
Chinese noodles don't cut it.,.
Haha, we could ask Fausci, but he'd plead the fifth.
Bet you're one of those Fausci fans that not only got the vaccine, but we
I could care less about RFK, you're the one that brought him up, he obviously triggers you, you even save links about him?
RFK Derangement Syndrome (RDS)? .
You love medical science and studies, but ignore basic biology and nutrition..
Vaccine hater, another one for you https://www.facebook.com/share/r/1HczR1b1DU/?mibextid=wwXIfr
Delete"soyboy" ... i love it. I don't eat "Chinese noodles" or much carb at all. I'm stage 2 chronic kidney disease (at least) and I have to be cautious about protein. I actually take a scientific approach to my health, unlike the poorly educated MAGA conspiracy theorists. There's a reason more Republicans died of covid than Democrats after the introduction of the vaccine, especially during the Delta variant - peaking in Sept. 21. Yea, I got the vaccine and never had any side effects, just like the 10,000+ Olympic athletes that got the vaccine before Toyko in '21 - none of which reported any long term side effects - zero. I'm one of the few of my colleagues who never got covid because I followed the mask and distancing protocols and got the boosters. There were MAGAs in TN dropping like flies during that time, including one of the best know syndicated conservative radio commentators out of Nashville (Phil Valentine). Science illiteracy has a price.
DeleteAnother study (probably done by a dumocrat). I did not get the vaccine, avoided wearing a mask, and never got covid, that's one better.
DeleteOh yeah, and I voted for Trump, go figure.
I’m sure I understand ALL nutritional concepts an order of magnitude (sorry for the scientific concept here probably confusing to you) better than you.
ReplyDeleteWell, in any case. I’m very proud of you for being able to go to the track, feel the strong temptation to run, and still maintain the presence of mind to resist it. You didn’t even have to have your crew tie you to the mast! Great way to break your cycle of addictive behavior.
ReplyDeleteAddictive behavior doesn’t change just applied elsewhere
DeleteMaybe "soy boy" should tell " meathead" that soy has all 9 essential amino acids as well as soy chunks can have up to 50 plus grams of protein per 100 g
ReplyDeleteYes there are examples of drug free vegan body builders who are very competitive in the Natural class. The advantage to low animal protein is that the phosphorus has low to moderate bioavailability which long term is healthier especially for the kidneys. Also the amino acid profile is such that, gram for gram, less urea is generated. Egg whites don’t have phosphorus and have near perfect BCAA profile so they are unique in that way for animal protein source.
DeleteI should have said advantage to plant protein not low animal protein.
DeleteMaybe you should read the NIH study on soy protein and chronic renal insufficiency where they demonstrate less generation of urea with plant protein
ReplyDeleteAlso there are reams of medical literature that demonstrate plant based protein is much easier on the glomerular filtration system, as well as delays progression of chronic renal insufficiency. This has been studied until the "soy" comes home.
ReplyDeleteAnother couple of points for the sprinter, it's most likely a waste of time to even look at your creatinine based gfr , it's all about the cystatin c when you break down tissue like you do. It should be more accepted in the United States but it's coming along in terms of. It eliminates the dietary consumption of creatine as well as the physical activity of muscle breakdown, it's a very reliable marker.
As I've stated before, all those sophisticated blood studies can be outdone with a high-quality CT coronary angiogram. You can find a place that does these for cash and look at the actual plaque in the vessels, which is this whole process of the diet and the lab testing is trying to prevent.
If you find a place and need a doctors order just let me know. I'll be happy to fax it even here from Texas.
We do our best is doctors to put things into scientific perspectives, but it will never be a pure science regarding medicine per se because of so many humanistic variables-
As the whole adage goes, we can't pick our parents- so we are left to control the things that we can control
You are a good man and Dr
DeleteOld adage
ReplyDeletePlant based, meat based, it's protein, it's all good.
ReplyDeleteAlthough, ignorant to avoid meat and eggs as a protein source.
We've been suckered into low fat, low cal, vegetarian/vegan stuff for the past 20 years, a whole generation brain-washed on an upside down food pyramid.
Note: I am NOT a vegetarian. But yea, sounds low intellect RFK jr. MAGA level advice carnivore diet fad BS. Would 22 studies on the health advantages of vegetable protein over animal protein make an impact on your understanding? No, MAGAs don't read. Well, here they are anyway.... When you swap saturated animal fat (like butter) for vegetable fat on a 1:1 calorie basis, the research shows improved health outcomes. Here are the first 10....
Delete— Replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fats:
• Meta-analysis of randomized trials: ~20–25% lower coronary events when PUFA replaces SFA https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20351774/
• Higher linoleic acid intake linked with lower total, CVD, and cancer mortality—especially when replacing saturated fat https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32020162/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25161045/
• Butter intake associated with higher mortality, while plant oils linked with lower mortality https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/40048719/
— Metabolic benefits of swapping butter/ghee for seed oils:
• Canola vs clarified butter: lower LDL, glucose, insulin, HOMA-IR, triglycerides, and liver fat. Improved insulin sensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/39610540/
• Ghee vs canola oil in non-alcoholic I fatty liver disease: rapeseed oil reduced liver fat and improved insulin resistance and liver enzymes https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38501177/
— “Seed oils are inflammatory” — not supported by data
• Systematic review of RCTs: higher linoleic acid does not increase CRP or cytokines https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22889633/
• Meta-analysis: no systemic inflammation and often better lipid profiles https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28752873/
High omega-6 levels can protect against premature death
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180319090923.htm
Leaner bodies, less heart disease and diabetes risk found in people with higher levels of linoleic acid.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160307092329.htm
“Researchers investigated data from over 200,000 individuals who were followed for more than 30 years, and found that higher intake of plant-based oils, especially soybean, canola, and olive oil, was associated with lower total, cancer, and cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas butter intake was associated with increased risk of total and cancer mortality”
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2025/03/250307130409.htm
Second 12... In another study of 407,531 individuals who were followed for 14 years, “Replacement of 5% energy from animal fat with 5% energy from plant fat, particularly fat from grains or vegetable oils, was associated with a lower risk for mortality: 4% to 24% reduction in overall mortality, and 5% to 30% reduction in CVD mortality”.
Deletehttps://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/39133482/
Myth-busting study shows controversial seed oils reduce inflammation - Blood analysis of nearly 1,900 people suggests this omega-6 fatty acid found in seed oils may support cardiometabolic health, countering claims that it promotes inflammation.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2025/06/250621103446.htm
Blood fat profiles confirm health benefits of replacing butter with high-quality plant oils
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/07/240711111457.htm
Omega-6 fatty acids and inflammation
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29610056/
Dietary linoleic acid and risk of coronary heart disease
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/11/05/dietary-linoleic-acid-and-risk-of-coronary-heart-disease/
High levels of omega-3, omega-6 may protect against cancer
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/11/241104112234.htm
Effects of walnut oil on lipid profiles in hyperlipidemic type 2 diabetic patients: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5436098/
Whole walnuts and their extracted oil improve cardiovascular disease risk
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130508123019.htm
Long-term, high nut consumption could be the key to better cognitive health in older people according to new research.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190319100803.htm
Eating nuts linked with lower risk of fatal heart attack and stroke
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190831155847.htm
Mediterranean Diet Plus Nuts May Be Helpful In Managing Metabolic Syndrome
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081208180242.htm
Palmitic acid, a saturated concentrated in meat and dairy, can boost the metastatic potential of cancer cells through the fat receptor CD36. https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/dietary-components-that-may-cause-cancer-to-metastasize/
Study this! Calling meat and eggs a MAGA "fad", shows your ignorance and bias.
ReplyDeleteFalse. Turning the food pyramid images upside down, emphasizing whole milk, meats, beef tallow was in direct contradiction to the scientific evidence, pushed by RFK. I think calling it a MAGA fad is pretty accurate. Like vaccine skepticism,’or more like hostility.
Delete