Sunday, March 26, 2023

WMACI World Masters Championships, 400m round 1

I won my round one heat today in 58.96, faster than I really wanted to run, but I got it done.   I was totally surprised by the Polish champion, Waldemar P. who went out in a crazy 26.9.... crazy for him because that's about how fast he runs a 200m.   My 200m split was nominal, probably 27.2 ish.  He made a move on the far turn and won the the break.  I could've challenged him for it, but I let him go and stayed close behind.  It turns out that was the fastest 200m split of any heat of the 6 heats, by a lot, like almost a second.  As expected he faded about the 270m mark and I eased past him before the final turn, showing him the nice shiny purple soles of my Adidas.  The extra energy expended made it a hard effort and I did rig a little in the last 10m.   Based on Waldemar's history, this was his fastest 400m in 6 yrs, he finished in 59.88.   He ran 61 at his Nationals recently, 26.98 in the 200m.  

I was third fastest qualifier and of all the top qualifiers, I ran by far the most uneven splits.  As expected, John W. cruised to an easy win in 57.93 with no effort, running almost even splits 28/29.   My splits were like 27.2/31.7.   Phillipe from France was right behind John in 58.87, his splits were about 28.9/30. 

The big news of the day is my draw for semi-final.  I got really lucky.   The fastest guy will probably be Vadim to my outside in lane 6, who also is generally not a fast starter, doesn't use blocks, ran 60.48 in round one, with a first 200m split of 28.3.  He did run 57 last year outdoors so he's capable.    3 other guys in this heat I've beaten already... Waldemar (again), Stuart, and Marcus.  Waldemar has the fastest round one time behind me in this heat, but has lane 3.  I have lane 5.  I wonder if he'll try and pull that super fast start again tomorrow?   Either way, I should win the heat and if I do, I'll get lane 4 or 6 depending on the likely heat 3 winner, Darren.  World champ John will certainly get lane 5. 

Getting adjusted to the time, slept last night for 7 or 8 hrs in 3 shifts.  

Here are some photos from today:

1) 320m mark

2) home stretch

3) call room

4) Post race with Rox in the Team USA Normatec compression machines































No comments:

Post a Comment