Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Hiking and a few long sprints

Spent the weekend hiking in the GSMNP, doing a 9 mile hike with a 2500' climb was harder than it used to be.

When I returned to the track a few days later, I wasn't completely recovered from the 15 or so miles I hiked on Sat - Mon.  I was a little gun shy of running really hard yesterday because last year after this same hiking trip is when I injured my knee, although I don't know if there was a connection.

But it went ok.   Warm and still at the Sewanee track, about 79ยบ at sunset.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
300m (from the 400m start) - 44.5  (14,14.5,16) 
200m -27.95
The 300m was a 400m bailout.  I was going to run a 400m but bailed after realizing I'm not in shape yet.  The reason I thought about trying a 400m is because I didn't really want to do a tempo workout.

But... this type of workout is getting me no where.  There are 2 things that are going to improve my 400 speed: 1) regaining my top end speed ... which is too soon to do; and 2) regaining speed endurance by a) more long sprint foundation volume (600-800s) and b) tempo workouts (80% 200s and 300s with limited rest).

I am fit though, weighing now less than 145 lbs on average.  I was 143.3 lbs after workout yesterday.  My resting pulse is in the 50s and my blood pressure a nominal 120/70, despite a high caffeine consumption. But still very disappointed that it is so much effort to run a 44 sec 300m, and a 27 high 200.  In order to run fast 200s and 400s, I need to have my top end speed and speed endurance back, where I can cruise a 26.5 200m without too much effort.  Right now, I'd be hard pressed to run that fast all out.

I need patience.  It'll come.  But after the way I felt after these 90% sprints and how slow they were, I wonder if I have the mental toughness and the mileage left in my body to get back to elite.  It's going to be really painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment