Monday, January 14, 2019

knee fix

I'm in Colorado at the Steadman Clinic, US Olympic National Medical Center to get my meniscus repaired.  My exam with Dr. LaPrade went well, he answered all my questions.  I was extremely impressed with him and his team.  He seemed like a quiet genius, adeptly going through the images on my MRI, showing me the damage, telling me specifically how he was going to repair it.  He seemed very confident that my repair would allow me to pursue my athletic goals of returning to track training, possibly full scale by fall, and competing in the 2020 season.  Dr. said I'd be running by mid-late summer.  He seemed confident that a reinjury would be unlikely.

I initially was going to add PRP and stem cell therapy, but decided to not go with the stem cell therapy since Dr. LaPrade's own research indicated that it wasn't especially effective and would only contribute perhaps 3-5% toward healing.  I really didn't want to deal with a huge needle in my hip to extract bone marrow for the procedure.  PRP therapy yes.

This place is quite impressive.  The walls are covered with framed photos and jerseys of professional athletes including Tom Brady (NFL), Rob Gronkowski (NFL), Liu Xiang (110H WR holder '08), Yao Ming (NBA), Mario Lemieux (NHL), and many many more skiers, ballet dancers, mountain climbers, tennis players, wrestlers, etc... athletes of every kind.

The main 'therapy' for post op meniscus surgery is protection to allow for healing.  Logistically, this has been expensive and complicated... and I know that my trip back will be difficult, and painful.  (It's $817 to stay 3 nights in Vail).  I decided to stay an extra day so I can go back on Sat night and get an extra day of PT.  The trip back involves: driving 90 miles to rental car return, taking shuttle to airport, going on airport train to terminal, getting through security, to the gate, flying 3 hrs, getting through the terminal in Nashville to parking shuttle, shuttle to car, then driving 90m home.  Should be home by 2 or 2:30 am Sunday.  Doing all this with a backpack and crutches.  Can't be too doped up so I can drive.

Looking forward to being fixed, not the process so much.  However, I have 2 days here in beautiful Colorado with a nice SUV to enjoy some sightseeing.  Driving I-70 through the high country is spectacular.
.


1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear you are getting this taken care of! I have been following your updates and wondering when this would take place. Everything seems very promising. Looking forward to seeing you back in competition in 2020!

    ReplyDelete