Tuesday, March 2, 2021

sprinter food and body weight

 As I lose those last few lbs, I'm really watching my diet.  I can feel a big difference in my speed on the track.    I eat once a day after training and have been starchy carb free for pretty much 4-5 weeks now.  I'm getting a decent amount of protein, although I do think protein intake is often believed to be over done, I don't think you need that much.  The most protein I ever eat in a day would rarely be over 100g.  I definitely couldn't do it in a vegetarian diet.  A large 12 oz can of tuna has 72 grams of protein with zero carbs and only 360 calories, that's a massive amount of protein for very few calories.  I'm definitely not KETO either, since I'm not consuming much fat and I do eat a little sugar.   Fats are a big part of the KETO diet and sugar is forbidden.  

All fall, I had been eating a lot of chocolate and nuts as a sweet snack.  For a sweet snack, I've replaced that with this:  A fruit or berry parfait with a 'cream' made from french vanilla stevia sweetened protein powder and milk.  It's amazingly delicious, less than 200 calories, 25 grams of protein, relatively low carb and less than 200 calories.   Below is the raspberry protein parfait. 



Well, that's desert first.  

Salty snacks ...  fresh salsa (not out of a jar) with raw vegetables like celery, radishes, zucchini, etc...   

Tuna I often mix with onions, tomatoes, and other raw vegetables ... add mayo and mustard.

 I've been eating grilled chicken and baked fish.  

About a lb of chicken breast marinated and grilled with broccoli on the side.  (3rd pic) Sometimes I'll cook a huge plate of steamed kale with my fresh tomato garlic balsamic salsa, and eat less meat.  (2nd pic)

I think my favorite is the 'tin foil tent' method of cooking fish and vegetables.  On a cast iron pan, I put down fish filets, then a variety of vegetables, cook at 420º for about 40 min and it's perfect every time.  The fish seasons the vegetables perfectly.  

It's all low carb.  When eating a lot of vegetables like big plates of kale, I can easily lose 3 lbs over night and 5 lbs in a day, because much of the intake is water.  

Another thing I eat is konjac noodles.  They make a great chicken or seafood pasta and are basically carb free and super low calorie.  

As people get older, they have less of an ability to build large muscle mass while at the same time, due to decreasing hormone levels, tend to store fat much easier.  That's why it's vital for me to weigh less than I did 5 yrs ago to maintain somewhere close to the strength / weight ratio.  Maybe not as important in the short sprints, but definitely in the long sprints.  I think my race weight is a 'well fueled' 140-142 lbs.  The weight I put down on my blog is my daily minimum, usually after workouts.  I can finish a workout at one weight and easily weigh 4+ lbs more after dinner.    

Don't want to sound too obsessed with weight, but I really notice a difference with just 3 - 4 lbs.    A delightful lightness of being.







No comments:

Post a Comment