Friday, March 19, 2021

Pre race shake out

After taking Wed off, I was hoping to get on the track Thurs night at MTSU, but I passed.  Conditions were brutal, cold, rain ending, stiff north wind, wet track with standing water, cloudy and 44º.   So, I stayed home and did some resistance bands and stretching.   Today, I went out and conditions were only slightly better, but it was dry.  Cloudy, north wind, and 46º at the MTSU track.   Nice to be back to the MTSU track for the first time this year.   It reminded me how much tighter and faster it is compared with the Sewanee track.  Nice to around a natural grass field too.   Didn't do anything race pace today, just a bit less, thinking about form.  Took just a few minutes between reps

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2 x 100m on turf

300m - 43.56

2 x 150m - 20.69, 20.07

Short and sweet.  Felt good, really light, like running on air.  Why?  Because I am. 

137.9 lbs after workout.  This is the lightest I've been in years.  Maybe several years.  I may actually race at under 140 for the first time in a decade or so.  We'll see if it translates to speed.  It may not now, but as the season goes on and my conditioning improves, I can't see how it won't help as long as I stay strong.   I did 24 pullups this morning.   I think my bodyfat % is now below 10%.  I'm a few lbs less than I was in HS.  

Tomorrow's race will be in the morning unfortunately, so I'll have to get up early.   They are seeding by age and I have lane 5 in a heat where the next fastest guy is seeded at 68.  It is really against my conventional wisdom to expect to better my time from last week, racing 3 weekends in a row.  Rarely have I ever done that.  But, it will be good learning experience since this is only the 4th 400m race I've done since Spain in Sept '18.   And it will be good to see Don and Lyon race.   It is such a small meet, I don't want to race the 200m less than an hour after the 400m.  Don and Lyon know the times they have to beat from Alan and I who are presently WL.   I would actually be surprised if Don doesn't run 25 on this fast track.   Lyon has a good shot at beating Don in the 60.   

This track is so fast, I'm sorry I didn't try and get Jim, Anselm, and maybe Ben or Ron together to break the M60 indoor 4x400m relay world record.  It's low hanging fruit, and would only require a 59.5 per leg. Maybe next winter.   


No comments:

Post a Comment