Friday, March 5, 2021

Event runs - 300, 200s / Adidas spikes trial / Sunday's meet

Cloudy, breezy, and feeling cold at the Sewanee track, about 49º.   I'm set to race my first indoor meet in 3 yrs this Sunday in Louisville.  It's mostly a high school meet, they're putting all ages together.  I'll be racing 16-18 yr olds.  There are a few scattered masters, there's an M71 yr  running the 60m,  and an M55 in the 400m but he's seeded at 66.  More about that later.

It went a bit better today than last time but I know I have work to do.  I think I have a chance to run 56 later this season if my training goes well, I don't get sick or hurt, the conditions are right and I execute. 

Also, today I tried out a new pair of spikes that I bought used on Ebay for $25, Adidas Adizero Prime SPs.  Last yr's model I think.  I used then in my 300m event run.  More on those later. 

I rode my bike to the track from the auto place where I had my oil changed so it was a bit of a warmup coming up that hill.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2 x 100m

2 x 50m on turf - relaxed, 6.91 

Adidas spikes on

300m event run (straight-curve-straight) - 40.93 (12.66, 13.44, 14.88 / 26.10, 14.88)

Puma spikes on

200m - 26.09 (12.48, 13.61)

Adidas spikes on

200m - 26.72 (12.56, 14.16)

All the event runs were 3 step rolling starts, trying to simulate 400m race pace.   I could tell by the way I was slowing in the 300, at that pace my last 100 would have been 16.5ish .. which would still get me in about 58.  The splits were almost identical to my previous 300m event run in trainers but my form was definitely more relaxed.  Still too hot for my present level of fitness.  I'd definitely rig the last 50m if I go out in anything close to 26 low.  

The first 200m was nice but the last one felt clunky as I was getting tired.  

I think I'll go out tomorrow and run a negative or even split 400m just to work on my fatigued form. 

I am officially at race weight: 141.4 lbs after workout.  

Adidas Adizero Prime SP -  The Adidas are nice, at 3.95 oz, the lightest sprint spike I've ever used.  These have 5 non-removable compression type spikes in a rather unusual pattern.  The fit and feel at first was a little sloppy because I didn't lace them tight enough and my foot moved a little because the material is very smooth and slick.  Even though these are lighter than my Pumas by 1.24 oz, I think I like the Puma's better because of the feel, the risers I use, and the fit. Sprint spikes aren't supposed to be comfortable but the Pumas did feel a bit better.  I'll likely race in the Pumas. 

Sunday's Meet:

I got decent lanes.  Lane 4 in the 400m and lane 5 in the 200m.  It was pure luck since they are unfortunately using all 6 lanes ... which is very bad for long sprints indoors.  Unfortunately, the 200m is probably less than an hour after the 400m.  The only event in between is the 6 heats of the 800m which won't take 45 min.  One other bad thing about the meet is I think, they are going to run the 400m without starting blocks. The good thing about this meet is that they're doing it in 2 sessions: kids 14 and under in the morning and ages 15-99 in the afternoon.  

In my heat of the 400m, I'll be racing three 16 yr olds and two 18 yr olds.  In my heat of the 200m, I'll be racing two 15 yr old, two 16 yr olds, and an 18 yr old.  I seeded myself at 25.7 which is a bit too optimistic.  Be happy to run 26 flat.  I'll be going up Sat night and staying over.  


No comments:

Post a Comment