Saturday, March 20, 2021

End of indoor season

 I never thought I'd have an indoor season but was happy to race 3 weekends in a row.  As expected, didn't one up myself this weekend, ran almost a carbon copy of the ill executed race I ran last weekend, but a few tenths slower at 58.12.   I again went out in about 26.1, and totally rigged in the last 30m.  Was hoping for a breakout race, but not ready yet.  It's going to take a longer training cycle and more speed work / event runs.   I'm enjoying my lighter weight but it's no help if a race isn't executed right or my conditioning isn't there.   I'm trying to race at my 55 pace where I'd go for 13,13,14,15 splits.  Not even close to that.  More like 13,13.3,15.3,16.3.  Need to reacquaint myself with proper pacing and not over estimate my conditioning.  I only trained Monday and Tues this week, not enough to make any substantial gains.  

There were people from everywhere at this meet.  Cynthia came from Hawaii, Lynn from FL, Jim from Boston, others from Wisconsin, etc...   The other thing I was curious about this weekend was my fellow M60 masters, particularly Don, who drove 9 hrs from DC to get to KY.   He ran a respectable 60m - 8.00, 2nd only to Alan, but was a bit underwhelming in the 200m - 26.92, more than a second slower than I ran last week.  My 1st 200m split in my 400m was about 26.1.   So, I'll retain the WL in the 200m and 400m, for the indoor and so far in the outdoor seasons combined, but the indoor season has been very limited in Europe.  No indoor meets in Germany, UK, France to my knowledge, only a scattered few indoor results from Poland, Finland, Iceland, Italy, Canada, Estonia, Turkey, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Greece, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Belarus, Romania ... but of course, many outdoor results in from Australia / NZ.    

So, returning to training tomorrow, I'll be back at it for some over distance.  Going to do one day of over distance, one of intensive tempo, and one of speed / event runs.  I may see if I can tolerate 4 running workouts a week.  Like maybe Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri.  We'll see.  Next meet will likely be in 3 weeks where I'll make my college meet M60 debut.  Hope to run at Sewanee in 4 weeks.   I looked at their results from Friday's meet.  I wouldn't have finished last, even with the time I ran this weekend.  

Also, I would urge my masters colleagues to donate on behalf of Masters Track to the KTCCCA meet host organization who have put on this great series of meets at the Norton Center in Louisville.  If you wish to donate, go here:

https://www.athletic.net/donate/7774




1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work Bill..... sounds like you have a good handle on what it takes to get to that next level.

    ReplyDelete