Monday, December 19, 2022

4x300 tempo

 Cold, dark, quiet, bleak, and deserted at the Sewanee track today.  39º, cloudy, light west wind.  Slightly warmer than yesterday but it actually felt colder today.  I went to the heated mens room to change out of my warmup suit and put my Adidas on after warmup.  Still ok for a sleeveless T and shorts.   I felt ok so I thought I try the brutal 4x300m intensive tempo.  Whenever I start one of these, it's questionable whether I'll be able to finish.  I've only finished one of these (4x) this training season.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2x100

Adidas trainers on

4x300m w/ 3min rest - 48.81, 49.48, 51.96, 54.87  (51.28 avg)

It was almost 2 seconds avg faster than the first set of 4x300 I completed a month ago.  It was absolutely punishing, but I'm pleased with the result, and that I gutted out the last one, despite it being slow.  But, it's important to remember that 2 yrs ago, I was doing this set with only 2:30 rest.   

I once made a comment on Coach Ryan B's article on intensive tempo.  (Intensive tempo is defined by submaximal training with strictly limited incomplete rest).   I basically said that I felt it was a necessary part of the puzzle for a 400m sprinter but the most taxing, both mentally and physically, requiring a high pain threshold and serious discipline - especially on the last rep when it hurts the most.   Coach responded, "Agree with you on all counts. I would also add it can create a separation point between you and the competition because some are unwilling to pay the toll."  

Afterward I went to the gym and did a set of squats, leg press, hams, and abductors.  I can say the injury to my left ham is completely gone.   I could still feel it on the ham machine as recently as 2 months ago.  Not anymore.  If anything, I felt more soreness on the other side, but no strength imbalance.  

I feel like I'm getting there.  Tomorrow, since I'm in Murfreesboro, I'll run the stadium stairs.  By the time I get to doing speed work, I expect my times will improve.  

140.7 lbs after workout.  

BLEAK ....





No comments:

Post a Comment