Tuesday, February 2, 2021

tempo 150s, 200

 Cold, windy, sunny mid 30ºs at the Sewanee track.  School has begun and seeing all the cars on campus, I was bracing myself for the disappointment of the field being unavailable.   I was really happy to see ZERO cars in the parking lot and no one there!  I moved the lacrosse nets so I could do a temp set on turf, to give my feet a break.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2 x 100 warmup

4 x 150m on turf w/ 30 sec rest - 22.20, 24.17, 24.30, 24.09 (23.69 avg)

200m - 26.63

80m high knee drill

It was cold, I did run in a sleeveless T but retreated to my car to warm up after the tempo set.  This workout wasn't as hard as the 2 previous.  Still, the tempo set was hard as usual, but over in about 3 min.  I wanted to run the 200m at about 400m race pace.  I was right about on that, splits were 12.93, 13.70.  Still have a lot of work to do on my form.

Starting to get fit.  143.1 lbs after workout.  

Competitions

I have agonized about this VA Beach meet, whether it is worth the small risk of infection.  Numerous times I've been right on the verge of purchasing flight, hotel, car, and stopped.  Well, I think now I'm not going to go.  Even though the risk is small, I don't need it.  There aren't enough indoor rankings to make it a legit measure.  Not one single M60 has logged a 400m time worldwide.  By contrast, there were 200 racers submitting times for the outdoor M60 400m in 2020 from 26 countries, so that ranking is meaningful.   I have numerous opportunities to run outdoor that I can drive to safely so I'm leaning toward not going.  I think 2021 rankings will be mostly outdoor.  Australia has been posting a lot of outdoor rankings this year.  That country has done it right.  They have been extremely cautious.  Even with only 1 coronavirus death nationwide in the last 2 months in Australia, they canceled their National Master Championship in March!

I may or may not request to get into the Berry Meet on 2/12, just to race a 200m.  It depends on the weather.  I'd hate to drive 4 hrs to race fo 26 seconds if the conditions are bad, particularly cold and windy.  Otherwise, there is a college and open meet at Life U on Feb 27 that might be a good time to race a first 400m.  

I've fallen into a Fri-Sun-Tues workout schedule.  Winter weather is in full swing with very little reprieve.   Next week, Friday and Sunday look ok but cold.  Beginning Tues, a week from today, possible snow through Thursday, which makes me think the meet on Friday, 2/12 will be not worth it.   

Cold winter.  Glad I have a lot of firewood.  But, here in the South, it's a short winter.  We'll have wildflowers blooming in 7 or 8 weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment