Sunday, February 14, 2021

4 x 300m, continued tough conditions

Sunday was like Friday today in Sewanee, except a little worse.  30º, dense freezing fog, visibility about 40m and a north wind made it feel much colder.   Rime ice was clinging to everything off the ground, fences, trees, lacrosse nets, etc....  It was actually very beautiful.   Although the track was wet, it is porous and remained unfrozen, except in spots where it was dirty.   In the silence, I could hear trees and branches coming down near and far.   

I decided to not do a tempo workout because I didn't want to be out there that long in the conditions.   I ran faster than tempo workout pace and warmed up in my truck between reps.

The workout started out hard but ended better.  Sort of a learning experience. 







Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2 x 100m strides

4 x 300m - 44.30, 45.29 , 45.63,  44.35

The first 300m felt terrible.  Way harder than it should have for the time I ran.  I was very discouraged.  Almost quit.   The second one was hard but I loosened up on the last two and they felt easier.  I was so cold and running tense in that first one, expending too much effort, started out too fast.  Also, tried eating a piece of toast 2 hrs before I went out.  Bad idea.  Made my stomach feel bad.  By the last rep, I was warmed up and ran relaxed with much less effort than the first rep which was about the same time.  All were slower than race pace, probably 61-62 400m pace.  If it weren't for my foot, I would have run a 5th.

Really need some form work.  NOT ready to race a 400m.  Don't think I'll go to GA on Sat to race.  It's supposed to be in the upper 40's with a head wind, so I'll wait a bit.  It's not been a good training week.  At least I got to the gym last night and did an extended stairmaster session (26 min) and some leg work.  

145.3 lbs after workout.  Going to need to eliminate the chocolate.  

Next workout on Tues may be indoors.  Winter Storm Warning in effect,  Ice storm on Monday night and a high of 24º on Tues.  More snow expected Thurs night and very cold on Friday, so we'll see.  

Rime ice in the fence... showing the direction of the north wind.












No comments:

Post a Comment