Sunday, February 21, 2021

Speed, hills

Speed?  You betcha.  53º and sunny with a SW wind gusting occasionally 10-15mph, so today, I did short speed with a tailwind.  My times were fairly ridiculous considering in trainers.  Must have been the wind, my training, and my lower weight.  *I did all of these sprints with an 8-10m flying start - 3 or 4 steps .... but still...   I started with an easy cautious 50m, then I let it fly.  I did 50s, 100, 150s and marked and timed each 50m segment.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills 2 x 100, bands

2 x 50m - 6.54, 5.88

100m - 11.95  (5.82, 6.13)

150m - 18.38 (6.06, 5.98, 6.34)

150m - 18.71 (6.19, 6.03, 6.49)

2 x 200m hills - 40.3, 45

I don't recall running a 150 this fast, even with a rolling start.  Like I said, it was wind aided but still a confidence builder.  

Since I'm on the track only 3 days/ week, I have this feeling that I have to do something to complete exhaustion every time I go out.  Well, the 200m hills did that today.  On Roarkes Cove Rd., the last 50m is the steepest, so by time I hit the last 20m, I'm barely moving.  I did the second one without complete rest and it was brutal.  I had to rest for a few minutes before I could walk down.  Still hurt while I was driving back... I felt the lactic burn in every part of my lower body from my calves to glutes.

I have upped my protein and have been doing the glute/ham sets at the gym, really watching my diet also.  

It looks like I'll have that just that one indoor Masters meet on March 20th in KY.  Other opportunities to race are: Marietta on the 27th - in one week.  Weather doesn't look too great.  54º, cloudy, and 50% chance of rain.  I'll register but may cancel if it's raining.  I'd just race the 200m in that one.  There is a college meet at Berry the following weekend on March 6, I may not be able to get permission to enter that, but I'll try.  If so, that will be my first 400m race.  The indoor meet on the 20th has a peculiar schedule that will probably prevent me from doubling because the 200m is before the 400m, which is odd.  Also, there are all ages meets in Atlanta on March 13 and 27 but at rather poor HS tracks.  This Atlanta are TrackLab series continues through April to May 1.  No shortage of meets.  

Also, I bought a cheap pair of used Adidas Adizero sprint spikes on Ebay to try out.  Doubt I'll change from the Pumas, but will give them a try in training.  

143.3 lbs after workout.


No comments:

Post a Comment