Sunday, February 7, 2021

Forced indoors, starts

 Today is normally a training day, but the track looked like this today:


Last night, rain changed to snow about 10 pm here on the mountain and it snowed a wet sticky snow most of the night.  The lowlands didn't get any snow.  

Not only was there snow, but fog all day and temperatures remained around freezing all day, and with no sun, the track remained covered.  It will all be gone by tomorrow, as it will be in the 50ºs Mon and Tue.  

I actually played an outdoor wedding in Sewanee on a patio this morning.  It was quite beautiful.  It's the type of snow that sticks to every little branch.  Good think I replenished my rack of firewood yesterday.

So yesterday, I did some sets of glute bands and tonight, while everyone was watching the 1st quarter of the Super Bowl, I was at the gym.   I took my spikes and starting blocks.  

After warming up with a 10 min 2000m row, I went through my drills and stretches, did some band work, then did some starts with my new phone app called Sprint Start.  Not only does it give the commands, but it measures reaction time.  It gives the start commands at a user set 'on your marks',  and interval between 'set' and 'gun' can be set to randomize.  For example, I set it for a 1.8 sec hold with a 0.3 sec random interval.   You set the phone against the blocks and it measures reaction time in milliseconds.  

I tried many starts, some just step outs, testing my reaction, and a few all out 40m sprints in spikes.   My typical reaction time was about .25 sec., but I was able to break .20 only a few times, averaging about .23.  Learning to calibrate this so not sure how accurate it is, but in comparison with the pros, they are almost always reacting in less than .20 sec.  For example, Bolt's reaction time in his last 100m Olympic Final was .155.   Something to work on.

I finished with some adductor work and glute machine.  Since I am not able to stack the machine the way I used to since they got rid of the heavy dumb bells I used to use, I have to use more slow negative and isometric holds to get the anywhere near the same pump.  I was able to add 45 lbs to the 150 lb stack, but not the 180 lbs I used to.   They still haven't fixed the stairmaster.  

Not having worked particularly hard today, my weight wasn't as low:  144.2 after workout.  So far, weather is not forecast to be a problem next few workouts, although it will be cold next weekend.




1 comment:

  1. Inspiring training, especially in those cold conditions. Come to Perth, it's much warmer here.....

    ReplyDelete