Saturday, February 27, 2021

overdistance 600, 500, 200

Warm today in Sewanee with rain showers. Bushes are showing spring blossoms about to burst.  After the rain the temperature rose to the mid 60ºs making it a rather good day to train shirtless.  I did overdistance, nominal times, nothing fast.  I finished with a relaxed 200m at what would be somewhere about race effort for the 400m.  Three days off the track has been good for my foot.  

Hoka trainers on 

stretches, drills, 2 x 100m warmup

600m - 1:43.79 (32.06, 35.38, 36.35)

500m - 83.06 (14.66, 16.09, 17.00, 17.97, 17.34  / 47.75, 35.31)

200m - 27.43 

Every time I do one of these workouts I think, 'I'm not ready to race a 400m'.  It's a process, a long season that will continue through August, 5-6 months.  I can't be too impatient and expect to run 57 in my first race.  I didn't take full rest between these intervals, needing to get it done before the lacrosse game at 3.  These aren't 'all out' efforts but I did run the last 100 of the 600 and 500 pretty hard, like 17 low.  Still a second+ short of my goal times on these sprints.  Aiming for 1:42, and 82.   Faster than last time in the cold but a little short of same workout on 2/9 where I took full rest.   Full rest after a 600m can be 30+ min.  I usually try to wait for my heart rate to go down to 120bpm or less before starting the next interval.  Didn't do that today.  After my workout, 30+ min later after I got home and laid down, my heart rate was still over 100bpm, which is typical.   That's how taxing these long sprints are for an old man.   The afterburn continues burning calories all day.  

 I really felt a good burn in my glutes after the 500m.  Last night I did 7x35 on the glute machine with 270 lbs.  I've been upping the sets and resistance with these.  Due to the shape of the new dumbells, I can't stack as much weight as before, so I've had to compensate with better form and resisting the negatives, rather than letting it drop and doing the reps as fast as I can.

Again today, I was considering going next weekend to VA Beach AAU meet.  But, instead I'm going to try to get into the Berry College meet on Sat.  It would be less disruptive to my training schedule and I'll see what everyone does at that VA meet and have some times to beat when I get to Louisville on 3/20.  Conditions at Berry could be tough.  Storm forecasted to move through Friday, and Sat is supposed to be cool, windy, low 50ºs.   The Berry meet is not generally accepting unattached so it's possible I may not get in and not have a meet before March 20.  I just hope the coach lets me in.  I could use a time trial to see where I am.  WL right now is 58.60, so that would be a good goal if I get in.  

143.0 lbs after workout.   Still have 3 lbs to lose.  

Tomorrow, I hope to get the Moderna vaccine #1.  


No comments:

Post a Comment