Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Speed: neg split 400, 200 - playing with pace

 Beautiful day, sunny, 70º, S headwind on the homestretch.   I was a bit nervous before today's workout because it was sort of a time trial of sorts, to see where I am in my conditioning.  To get a feel for what splits I should aim for.   The plan was to try an even split 400m - 4x15 sec all around.  It was basically a success, although always room for improvement.   

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 100m

100m on turf - 15.00

Adidas trainers on

400m - 60.17 (15.10, 15.23, 14.22, 15.63 / 30.32, 29.85)

200m - 27.82

Hoka trainers on 

1 x 130lb sled pull - 80 yards

On the 400m, I really attacked the 3rd 100m on the turn a bit hard and it cost me a little on the last 100m, but I'd be happy with a 15.6 last 100m in a race.  I am hoping to run race splits of about 27 mid-high, 30 high - 31, which could bring me in mid 58s.  I'm thinking ideally 27.5/30.5 = 58.0   which should medal at Worlds.  Running 60.17 in trainers, not full effort (except for the last 80), is significant considering it would make the top 5 in the world right now.  

It will be really interesting to repeat this with the Maxflys on and run my first split at 29.   This is getting interesting.  Can't wait to put those Adidas Prime SP2s to the test.  They're here on Monday.  In my size, they could weigh at or just under 4 oz.  

Best and most importantly ... I'm NOT injured and all systems go.  Everything feels fine.   

I ran a 200m without full rest at approximately 400m race pace.  Then did one sled pull to failure.  

Since I may take Thurs and Fri off due to weather, I will probably do a conditioning workout tomorrow.  Sat-Mon looks great for weather.  

138.5 lbs after workout.

4 comments:

  1. Nice. I suffered today on my skierg, 2k in 8:16 HR 157 (7:52 rower equivalent), 20 sec rest 1k in 4:04, HR 160 30s rest 1k 4:03 HR 162 rest to HR 110 (about 45 s) 500m 1:58 HR 163 (1:52 rower equivalent) rest to HR 110 500m 1:54, HR 164. I regretted my pre workout carb load. With skiing it is flat then downhill and I don’t start working really hard for 15 minutes or so. But on the erg I’m working hard right away. Was in agony after workout today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine being that motivated to suffer like that without the impetus of competition, rankings, etc....

      Delete
  2. Well there’s goals like riding to the top of the highest mountain with rideable primitive forest service roads. Although those days are mostly behind me I still will do one or two a season. Skate skiing is so hard to get satisfaction from it you need to be in really, really good shape as well as have countless hours at it to develop technique. Also there are plenty of competitive athletes on the trails including the MTB bike trails (Mecca for skiing and riding) and it is motivating to keep up, pull away, or make it hard to get caught. So there is some competition, sometimes just to get over a steep, short hill. I do get pestered to race and join a team. But I don’t like the pressure of formal competition and there is an element of risk - can be icy, fast, narrow trails lined with trees. And although I’m competent I typically place in the median of a competitive masters group so not like that part is super motivating. Rather just do my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also it is really beautiful out on the trails or in the mountains so that helps

    ReplyDelete