Saturday, February 25, 2023

Saturday off from the track

With still a feeling of slight vulnerability in the right ham, I really need to start respecting my days off from the track.  4 consecutive days on the track and training while sore will amount to problems.  Another of my colleagues in the M65 class went down with a ham injury today.  He will likely withdraw from Poland.   I need to be able to survive Nationals in a healthy state, to get to Poland.  And in Poland, I need to survive 2 rounds of 400s to get to the final.  Then, the 200m starts.   

I still feel a dull soreness in my right posterior chain, not dissimilar but not as bad as what I was feeling on my left side end of '21 and all last season.   I feel confident that in 2 weeks I'll be race ready.  Looking at my championship training summaries from previous yrs, I was pretty good about respecting the 'every other day schedule.'  Weather next weekend is great but Friday rain.  I have most of the following week off, which is great timing for Nationals.  

Today, it's raining on and off and totally fogged in.  Not terribly cold, 50º.   Good day to be off.  Later today, I will start one of my indoor circuits and go to the gym this evening for some resistance and prehab.  

So, I'm working today in my office porch, by the fire, over looking the foggy mountain.  






6 comments:

  1. As well as being disciplined about rest days, consider pausing any non track training that engages the hamstring until soreness is gone for two weeks. Like stop everything, sled, bands, Nordic curls, cycling, etc..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably good advice. It's a fine line between prehab and rest... the thing is, the original injury area is not sore. It is higher, in the glute.

      Delete
    2. Different topic - you report post workout weight. Are you lighter upon waking or after a workout?

      Delete
    3. Presume you eat light all day and don’t drink during your workout. In a hot long summer ride I may drink 80 ounces and still come home a couple of pound lighter than I left from home but not typically lighter than waking weight. Skiing is always in the AM but I’ve had half an avocado, third cup walnuts early with several cups of coffee and then a huge bowl of oatmeal 1.5 cups berries in the truck right before skiing. I drink 20 ounces half way through ski and 20 on the way home and but typically 1 lb or so over waking weight when I get home from skiing. About 2 to 3 lbs over waking weight at bedtime.

      Delete
    4. I don't eat early in the day, maybe 1 piece of bread at most in addition to milk and coffee. I can't eat within 4-5 hrs of an intense workout. First main meal at normal dinner time and sometimes I'll eat again late. Through the morning, I eliminate waste, train in afternoon. Yesterday, on a day off I ate a lot, probably too much salt which made be drink a lot of water. Before bed around midnight, weight 143.5, 11 hours later at 11 am - 138.5.

      Delete