Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Brief maintenance workout/ WR attempt?

On the track early Wed., 3rd day in a row.  Mid 50's and moist, but not raining.  Nothing fast today or really hard.

Hoka trainers on

Stretches, drills, 2x100m, bands

400m, 300m, 100m w/ 3 min rest - 68.3, 48.3, 14.8

Wasn't much but the 300m was the hardest of the 3 since I was still breathing moderately hard after the 400m, which was only a little faster than 800m pace.  

Hope to be back to race pace in a week to be safe.  Probably could now but want to be careful.

Finally under 140 for the first time in a while:  139.6 lbs after workout.

----

world record attempt

Dave W. texted me about participating in an M60 World Record attempt in the indoor 4x800m relay on Saturday March 11, at Masters Nationals.  He just turned M65 but is the American Record holder in the M65 1500m and just ran a 2:23 800m.  The record is 9:50.90, so we have to average 2:27.71 each to break the record.  We should easily be able to do it, even though Paul and Dave are M65.  Our slowest guy has already run 2:28 this season.  It should be a good safe weekend of training if I race the 800m on Sat and Sun.  This is also a good incentive to up my foundation training.    Also, what might make this interesting is that this will be the first 800m indoor run in my life and it would be cool if it were a world record.  

7 comments:

  1. This would suit you perfectly. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great motivation to accept the required suffering, For something in the 2 minute or so length I would be full of doubt and battling the urge to bail. In fact I've been doing 5K time trails on my Erg for Concept 2 logbook ranking and I'm ok with that, but I can't seem to take another shot at 500m, even though I think I can break my 10 year old mark. I think I remember you saying you were done with 800's so imagine it is not the funnest race. Do doubts creep in for you while racing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't entertain negative thoughts while racing. More like simple thoughts supporting pace, form, relaxation, turnover, etc...

      Delete
    2. 100 percent get that but you said after your silver medal “ The bottom line is: NO! I am not moving up to the 800!

      I actually find this race a bitch. The only good things about it, is that it can be tactical, low chance of injury, and it doesn't require much of a warmup. I don't think this will be my last 800m, but I wouldn't miss it if it were. ”

      To me that implies struggling with the misery while racing, no?

      Delete
    3. In the spirit of constructiveness if you examine that race is there anything from a training, warm up or other perspective that can make it “less of a bitch”? I find that duration at high effort really tough to tolerate and I see no answer to it but suffering.

      Delete
    4. Fortunately, I've never rigged up in an 800, but I have numerous times in the 400m. I run the 800 because I can and it's good training for the 400m. The 400 hurts just as much as the 800 and even more in terms of lactic overload, but it's over faster. In an ideal life, I would be competitive enough to win all the time at the short sprints, but there is more injury risk and it's not what I'm best at.

      Delete
    5. Yes lactate ion buildup is uncomfortable, as well as carbonic acid. On the way down the mountain I was thinking about the mechanisms and think there might be a way to counter it. Will post about it in a bit.

      Delete