Wednesday, February 1, 2023

10x100m

Dense fog, 32º, calm winds, visibility about 30m at the Sewanee track.  With no wind, it felt ok.  I did a tempo set of 100s on the turf.   First two 100s ran with a long sleeve then pealed it off for the next 8.  Still not 100% from the injury but definite improvement.  Kept these a little slower than usual, concentrating on form. 

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2x100m, bands, massage gun, stick, roller

10 x 100m w/ 30 sec rest on turf ~ 17-17.5 avg

It was a good workout, not completely killer, but good maintenance.  The last 2 were tough.   I made sure I was totally stretched and warmed up, using all my tools.  Didn't feel the strain while running, didn't push it.  No 100s were under 16.    The strain gets better each day and I do think I'll be up for an intensive tempo set within a week, but probably no race pace for a week+ to be safe.  This latest strain is mild and in no way comparable to the injury I had last year, although I do feel it through my entire posterior chain.  

The ham tweak was definitely a wakeup call to do as much eccentric strengthening and prehab as possible.  If this happens again, I could be severely compromised or out of Nat'ls and Worlds, but for now, have plenty of time to get to 100%.   My latest strain was relatively minor and healing fast, but it reinforced the need to do continuous strengthening and prehab especially on non running days. Having a known vulnerability will fade and confidence will increase as I continue to train and get stronger. Having such an injury reinforces the feeling that it's a privilege to do what I do at this age, and it could be gone in an instant if preparation is taken lightly.   So, still living the dream.  Even in ice fog.

Tomorrow is a day off, Friday stadium stairs, Sat - probably overdistance.   

140.9 lbs after workout.




No comments:

Post a Comment