Wednesday, March 1, 2023

'split 700', 'split 400'

Hazy sunshine, 70º, light SE wind.   Wasn't sure what to do today because I needed a hard conditioning workout today, 9 days out from Nationals, but didn't want to do too much volume or run race pace two days in a row.  I thought about 5x300 w/ 6 min rest.  Too much volume for my foot.  Then thought about race pace split 400s.  Too fast 2 days in a row.  So I settled on the always agonizing 'split 700' ... and then some.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2x100, bands

Adidas trainers on

'split 700' - 500m - 80.59 (63.47, 17.12) / 90 sec rest / 200m - 33.16

'split 400' - 300m - 44.31 / 60 sec rest / 100m - 14.35

100m strider

The split 700m was very hard.  On the ground for a few min after the final 200m.  In previous yrs I'd often follow this up with a split 500, but didn't have that much time to recover today.  So after about 15-20 rest, a split 400m.  Wasn't bad.

My split 700 was a half second in total faster than one I did 10 days ago, but not near to what I was doing in April of '21 (79.1/16.8).  

I wanted to get this in because I may take Thur-Fri off from running because of weather.  Should be back out by Sat.  

138.3 lbs after workout

I noticed my main US competitor raced last weekend, he ran about 60 flat on an unbanked track, which is fast.  So, he's definitely a threat.   

Tracking my my new Adidas Prime SP2s.  They've cleared customs in Cincinnati and hopefully will arrive sooner than the Mon scheduled delivery.  


2 comments:

  1. Hope you time your peak right. Like you said before that type of fitness is fleeting. I set a PR on my erg in a 5k about a month ago and haven’t come close to that time since. Also not as strong on the trails, too many hard skis this season I guess. So the drop off in performance is real. Dropped from 8th to 15th in concept 2 world rankings as others are improving times. Hopefully it will come back so I can have a couple of strong skis for a few March trips to Galena, there’s a 18 mile route that is spectacular and challenging, and makes me feel like Superman upon completion. At least till the next day when exhaustion sets in. To your point about motivation, I think I’m addicted to that temporary Superman like feeling that comes with completing a hard challenging ski or ride, flushed with endorphins and feel great for a few hours. Images of the ski replay in my mind spontaneously, kind of like visualization but without trying to visualize it. But sometimes I pay for it with fatigue and worse sore knees the next day. Especially if I do 2 days in a row. Hooked. 74 inches at the local mountain snotel today, I’ve been here since 14’ and this is the first year I’ve seen over 70 inches. Probably will be over 80 by next week. Taking the day off to go ski.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is fleeting. Hard to stay there. Approaching the championship races, less volume, more long sprint race pace without risking injury. I feel much stronger after these low volume, higher speed workouts with a day of rest.

      Delete