Friday, February 17, 2023

featured in a USATF commercial

Not the way I would've wanted to be featured.   

I was watching the USATF TV National Indoor Championships (elite, not masters) ... and they aired a USATF commercial, and low and behold, it captured one of my most disappointing defeats: 2018 Indoor Nationals in Landover on a flat track.  I had been suffering from plantar fasciitis and had lost a lot of training time and wasn't in great condition.  I got a steroid injection to get me through Nationals.   But, I reinjured my foot in the 200m final later that meet and had to stop running for over a month.  Didn't even medal at outdoor Nationals that yr, nor did I make the finals in Spain at Worlds in Sept.  In Oct I seriously injured my knee and had surgery 1/19.   It was a tough year overall.  But hey, Silver Medal, I still ran 58.5 or so in this race.  I think that would win Nationals in M60.

This guy Ron who beat me in '18 ran 60.3 last weekend, and I know I'm in better shape than when I ran 59.42 6 weeks ago.  Ron is capable, ran 57.35 last yr - US #1, and won outdoor Nat'ls at 58.12.  

Here's a screen shot from the video  (not a video).  
I call this motivation:




3 comments:

  1. Ron must have buddies in USATF. Anyway nothing like competition to bring out your best. Enjoy the nice weather in Atlanta. BTW agree with your dad impressive job on Roya’s deck. I wouldn't have bitten that one off. I’ve had involuntarily thoughts of riding so looking forward to spring but got another month or so of skiing for a good four month season. Storms coming next week in some mountain areas totals will be measured in feet. Check this tool out. The west has snotel stations that report out snow depth, temperature, and water conversion in inches hourly . Has a depth(height) sensor and weight sensor. It’s a good year for the west California mountains are like 200%. But will probably lead to a bad fire season. If you find the station near Boise and click on it and drill down to site reports and find the 7 day hourly table and scroll to the bottom you will see the station at 6300’ has about 60 inches of snow. Imagine dumping 5 feet of snow on your Roarks cove climb, running a multi ton tracked groomer over it sever times to pack it down, then skiing up it. That’s pretty much my planned route today up to the picnic area and mores mountain extension. (Multiple climb longest continuous one gains 800 feet at about 8 percent average grade in 2 miles with a few steep spots. Fun descent. About 1300 feet of climbing.)
    https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/wcc/home/quicklinks/imap#version=167&elements=&networks=!&states=!&counties=!&hucs=&minElevation=&maxElevation=&elementSelectType=any&activeOnly=true&activeForecastPointsOnly=false&hucLabels=false&hucIdLabels=false&hucParameterLabels=true&stationLabels=&overlays=&hucOverlays=2&basinOpacity=75&basinNoDataOpacity=25&basemapOpacity=100&maskOpacity=0&mode=data&openSections=dataElement,parameter,date,basin,options,elements,location,networks&controlsOpen=false&popup=&popupMulti=&popupBasin=&base=esriNgwm&displayType=station&basinType=6&dataElement=WTEQ&depth=-8&parameter=PCTMED&frequency=DAILY&duration=I&customDuration=&dayPart=E&year=2023&month=2&day=17&monthPart=E&forecastPubMonth=2&forecastPubDay=1&forecastExceedance=50&useMixedPast=true&seqColor=1&divColor=7&scaleType=D&scaleMin=&scaleMax=&referencePeriodType=POR&referenceBegin=1991&referenceEnd=2020&minimumYears=20&hucAssociations=true&lat=40.08&lon=-109.47&zoom=4.0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool tool. Doesn't peak til 4/7.

      Delete
    2. I like that there is seldom snow in the valley but in 45 minutes I can find 5 feet on the ground . Enough snow to ski until May but Bogus shuts down sometime in March typically. Galena is better for spring skiing (North of Ketchum/Sun Valley) as the valley is at 7300 feet surrounded by 10k to 12k mountains so it is much colder over night. Truly world class trails there in all respects. Views, quality, length, variety, number of trails. 3 hr drive through. They usually start grooming mid November and end late April. Spring is tricky as the sun at elevation is quite warm, they groom in the evening while the snow is soft and freezes up overnight. So if you go too early it’s icy if you start to late or go really long it is soft and very slow. But if you hit it right it is fast as shit. And can be dangerous as you might have a fast downhill section then get into soft wet snow that grips your skis and face plant. Latest I’ve skied is April 16.

      Delete