Friday, February 3, 2023

stadium stairs

Exceptionally cold this morning at the MTSU stadium, 28º, N wind with a windchill 24º, but fortunately, it was sunny.  Ran with long sleeves and my protective CW-X short tights.  

Ham injury is about gone.   Can barely feel it in the long bridge position.  But it's still vulnerable since I feel a general soreness in my R posterior chain, typical of mild hamstring tendinopathy.  Will continue to strengthen and protect.  

This stair workout was definitely one of my top few in volume.

Hoka trainers on

Stretches

25 x stadium stair sprints (40m)

I generally do these in sets of 6.  The walk down provides enough recovery but I take a few minutes after each 6.  I think 31 is the most I've ever done and this was maybe 2nd or 3rd most.  

I'm reminded once again that being healthy is #1.  My friend Shunji from Japan, the M60 world Bronze medalist in the 400m has pulled out of Worlds and apparently announced his retirement from racing.   He's a year younger, and is having pain just walking.  So, no point in risking any races before Nationals.   I really probably could have raced on the 18th, but I have to be at work.   

I may even sign up to race the 800m at Nationals for the workout.   But that would mean staying in Louisville 2 extra nights.  

Good weather coming up.  Next 4 days mild and no rain.  Will do as much as I can.  

Weight starting to normalize.  139.9 lbs after workout




4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your friend. Hopefully his pain resolves with time off. My version of intervals is skiing the lower loop. Expert trail that drops down a few hundred feet but on the way down you have 5 steep rollers to get over then a good long clinb to get out. Maxed out HR on one(167) was over 160 a lot. 12 miles in 90 minutes. Exhausted today. Back at it this weekend. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IChGcKoWrs8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should exercise caution when doing that type of training at our age in remote areas far away from help.

      Delete
    2. That’s why I pretty much stopped the adventure mountain bike rides. Actually the local single track is more fun anyway and can be equally hard, except less elevation stress. Also much more convenient as 20 min drive instead of several hours. On the ski trail someone would find my body within a couple of hours:-)

      Delete
    3. Someone might find your body if an animal hadn't dragged it off.

      Delete