Friday, March 4, 2022

bike up the mtn

 I was going to run stairs Thurs morning, but felt an odd minor soreness in my L knee.  It went away, so I biked up the mountain today in Sewanee.  Incredible warm beautiful weather, 76º in Sewanee.  

Seriously, the ham injury feels like its about gone, but I want to be doing strengthening exercises targeting the proximal ham area with no pain during and afterward training - before running on the track.  I'm being really cautious about this.  Someone told me on an athletic site that PHT injuries are made more difficult because the injury seems to go away then comes back during training and can become chronic.  Point taken.  

I'm looking forward to a long spring of training before I jump into a race, and want to develop the confidence that I'm fully past this injury.   Pain through exertion and conditioning is OK, pain through injury and disfunction is not OK.  So, looking forward to enjoying the 400m process and this "world of 'good' pain."   

Hopefully, it won't take too long to get back.   I have colleagues that show up to championship events with minor injuries and run in a comprised state.  I won't do that.  I'm going to resist going to Indoor Nationals even though I might be able to win it with my B game in 2 weeks.  It's all or nothing.  I had my time at #1 for 18 months, and by the time I race again, I want to be able to be on or near the top again.  

There are no shortage of meets in the ATL area.  I hope to be racing by the end of April or early May.  

1 comment:

  1. Bill, you are going to miss a wild one up in NYC. Yes, even without you there are 288 people signed up for the 200 dash (208 men, 80 women). I hope that the clerking is good and everything goes smoothly. "What, there were heats in my race? I didn't know that." Regardless, I am guessing that this meet will end up with 1300 entrants, an amazing number and I still might be low.

    Best name I found was Coco Nagasaka from Japan. If I were the announcer up there I would love announcing her. But just think about the money she will spend in airfare, hotel, meet entry, and meals.

    Peter L. Taylor
    Fairfax, Virginia

    ReplyDelete