Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Bike, Stairmaster, weights

Yesterday the weather changed and it was in the upper 40ºs and wet by late afternoon.  Back to fireplace weather.  Nevertheless, I got on the bike for a 10 mile ride and some minor hill climbs in my neck of the woods.  Later last night, I went for a session at the gym that included stairmaster and one set of resistance.  

bike - 10 miles, hilly

stairmaster - 25 min

resistance - adds, abds, hip flexor, rowing

I'm thinking that racing at all this spring may be a bit ambitious, noting the slight but lingering tendon issue.  Instead of racing by early May, just being able to fully train by then would be a good goal.  It will be like starting again at that point.   From that point, I'd have 12+ weeks before Nationals.  Look like Finland probably won't happen for me, and because of the war, may not happen at all.

I'm thinking about taking a different approach.  Up my cross training, more eccentric stuff, and limit my running to once a week, and only short steeps like 100s and stairs.  Some types of things really seem to make the injury feel better, like supine bridges with legs straight on a raised ledge.  I really want this injury to be gone.  Not going to race compromised.  If this injury persists, I may have to do what Duane suggested and just stop running completely for 3 months.  

Back in Dec, I never thought I'd be in this position in March, in the heart of spring track.  It completely changes the way I live and think.  During competition season, I'm super disciplined about my diet, weight, training, etc.  I'm sure not to miss taking my supplements, protein, etc... I watch the weather with an interest in the best time of day to train.  My world revolves around race dates and preparing for them.  Now, I just play guitar and enjoy hikes among the spring wildflowers.... frankly a whole lot easier, but I miss the grind and the competition.  I'm hoping to remain in shape, keep my weight under control so when it's time to start running those 800s again, it would be too brutal.  I should have taken more time off last fall. 





No comments:

Post a Comment