Sunday, April 11, 2021

Work to do

Not anxious to write this post since I underperformed in the weekends meets.  Same old story in the 400m, ran a great 350, rigged in the end badly, lost a lot of time in the last 40m, finished in a disappointing  58.47.  Saturday conditions weren't great at Berry College - rain, wind, but still... I ran faster in training.  Still the fastest outdoor time in the world, but I know I can do much better.  Won't be posting this time in the rankings.  The 200m at Lee University on Friday, no excuses.  Conditions were good, just got a bad start, tightened in the end and ran a 26.09.  Inexplicable.   Maybe I overtrained?  4 days in a row last week on the track may have been overkill.  Maybe not enough speed work?  Don't know.  Will try it again next weekend at Life University on Sat.  Determined to improve.   I've had a good three weeks of training since indoor, but nothing yet to show for it.  Going to take more time I guess.   Still haven't brought my A-game to a 400m this yr.  

The good news is that I'm not injured, and still managed to beat 3 college guys in my heat at Berry. It was my 56th college meet since I turned 50.   I really should have won my heat.  Running from lane 2, I made up the stagger on everyone before 200m.   I was several meters ahead of everyone at the final turn.   Two guys passed me in the final 20m.  I was moving so slow at the end, the guy who won the heat beat me by 1.3 seconds, which he gained in just the last 20m.   It probably took me 10 sec to run the last 50m.  No kidding, rigging up is no fun.

Anyway.  Back to the grind.  I may do more neg split / fast 400s today in training.   Aussie record holder Trevor, one of just 5 M60 guys to break 56 in the last decade told me his 400m workout sometimes consists of running an all out 400m.  That's one way to learn I guess.  No substitution for execution.  

No comments:

Post a Comment