Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Bike, 400, 200

 I wasn't going to run today.  I had some minor aches and pains so I thought I might take today off from the track since I was on Sunday and Monday.  But... it didn't workout that way.  

Early this afternoon I climbed Roarkes Cove road on the bike, typical 'day off' exercise, as I did on Saturday.  Except today, I hammered the hill and did it in just under 21 minutes for the first time, 20:57.

I got out of teaching a little early so I went to the track at sunset with the goal of just stretching, drills, and some prehab band work.   It was an awesomely perfect evening... 70º, clear skies, no wind.  So, after a thorough warmup, I couldn't resist... I thought I'd run an easy even split 400m.  It was a bit more than that.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2 x 100m on turf, more drills, bands

400m - 58.09 (27.47, 30.62)

200m - 27.34

I had planned to run a 60 sec 30/30 400m, but it got a little too fast in the beginning.  Ran the last 100 in 15.5.  Overall, it wasn't really hard ... for a 58.   I walked for 600m then ran a relaxed 200m and called it a night.  Actually felt better afterward than before.  

Tomorrow, I want to do one last workout before the race, so I was planning to do a 300m event run, maybe 2, or a split 400.  I will probably stay in trainers.  

Ate a bit better today, 136.9 lbs after workout.  

Meet conditions this weekend don't look so good.  UPDATE (4/7)

Friday: 77º, 30% chance of rain, 12 mph S wind.  That would be a headwind for the 200m if they don't set up an alternate finish.  

Saturday: cloudy, 65º, near 100% chance of rain, windy, S wind 12 mph.  If it's really miserable, I'll scratch.

I once ran 55.79 at Vandy in the pouring rain... but that was 9 yrs ago.  

I will keep my 400m entry at Berry college for Sat and go there if it looks any better.  Both races are scheduled at 12:30pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment