Monday, January 25, 2021

An indoor meet

 It looks like the Virginia Beach AAU Indoor Open and Masters Championships will take place after all on Saturday evening, March 6.   Already, a number of my colleagues have signed up.  Unfortunately, the schedule does not permit a 400/200 double, they are listed as consecutive events, so I'll just run the 400m if I go.  

This meet is appealing for a number of reasons.  First, it will be my only chance to log an indoor time.  Second, it is an incredible brand new $68 million facility and fast banked beautiful blue track (see below).  And third, they've scheduled it so the masters and open will be a different time than the youth, so less people, less risk.   With USATF Nationals cancelled, this meet may function sort of as a Masters Indoor Championship.  Right now there are just about 30 people signed up but they will cap the meet at 200 so I should decide fairly soon.  It will be definitely safer than racing at a huge indoor meet in Birmingham next weekend, and by March, hopefully infections will be decreased compared with today.  They will probably have a small turnout so I'll likely run with younger and faster masters if I go, based on seed time rather than age.  Mike B. is in the M55 age group and is entered... he ran sub 56 in the 400m 4 or 5 times in '19.  

I can fly non-stop from Nashville round-trip, hotel for 2 nights, and car all for $452 right now, which is good.  It cost $50 to enter + $16 to join AAU.  

Right now, it's still a dangerous time.  7 day avg coronavirus death rate in America is 3238 as of today.  I'll probably make a decision on this in the next few weeks.  Tomorrow looks like the first day where it will in the upper 50ºs and fair weather for training.  Just rested today, have a slight groin issue that I want to get past.  


The brand new VA Beach Sports Center - site of the AAU Open/Masters Championships, March 6




No comments:

Post a Comment