Saturday, January 23, 2021

300, 200, hills

 Mid - upper 40ºs at the Sewanee track today, light north breeze.  I didn't want to do another tempo or over distance workout today.  Did a good glute workout yesterday with bands, and I really felt it today.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2 x 100 strides

50m - acceleration

300m - 42.69 (12.69, 14.10, 15.90)  

200m - 27.17

3 x 100m hill sprints  ~ 19-20

This workout convinced me I'm not ready to run a real fast 400m right now.  Yes, took off too fast in the 300, with a 12.69 rolling first 100, but still, I really tied up at the end.  The 200m split was right at 400m race pace, 26.79, but no way would I have another meaningful 100 left after this 300.  I could probably run a 59 right now but that's about it.  I really felt the glutes after the 200m, due to that workout yesterday.  Again, the workout felt exceptionally hard despite the low volume.  Probably need to go back to some foundation and mix in some short fast stuff.  As my friend, world champion Lee B. told me, the 400m is 'one demanding mistress.'

So, I probably won't run the indoor meet next weekend.  I may start with a 200m sometime in Feb., but I need to take the long view.  Nationals may or may not happen until early August, so I need to step back a bit.  I've been on the track every other day this week - 4 workouts in 7 days, some of them in bad weather and some were unusually hard, with the notion I may race soon.   Not worth the risk of running indoor, and driving 5 hrs to race a 200m.   I can't be running event runs and stuff like that before I put in more foundation and resistance strengthening, hills, etc... speed doesn't come easy at M60, but it will come, with persistence, hard work ... like anything else.  If I can get to where I was in July, that would win Nationals most likely.  

Not as light as last workout, but I feel I am getting leaner.  It's a process.  144.5 lbs after workout

No comments:

Post a Comment