Friday, January 26, 2024

4x300m tempo!

The 'unholy trinity' is history, I just complete my first 4x300m intensive tempo set.  FOUR!  And, I did it without compromising the speed that I had been running in the 3x3w/3 workouts.  I think this is the first time I've completed 4x3w/3 since July 9, and that was a season's best set and was just 0.36 sec faster than today.  And the conditions weren't perfect today due to the wet track.   However, it was just about perfect besides that, mostly cloudy, about 60º and calm winds.  

What a difference three days makes.   Tues the track was still snow covered, Friday I'm training shirtless.  These photos are just 3 days apart.  



 

 


 

 

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 100m, 50m

Hoka Rocket X2s on

4 x 300m w/ 3 min rest - 49.62, 50.19, 50.06, 48.78

The key to completing this workout was pacing.  The first two were done with fairly light effort and after the 2nd one, I said out loud, 'you got this' and I was able to do the last rep as the fastest.  Very unusual.   I can't tell you the number of times I go out and think, 'yea... I'm going to do 4 reps' and then die after three and bail.   Not today.   It was 'down to my knees hard', especially to bring that last rep in in 48, but it wasn't sickening.  Maybe the cross training paid off.

Almost feel like racing again this weekend but I'm happy not to go to that Coach Miami meet in Birmingham, it's huge with 1000s of kids, big masters turnout as well.  What were they thinking?

Amazingly, this was the first time in 2 weeks I've been on an outdoor track, and the first tempo set of 300s since Jan 6!

This is a good and encouraging start to a 2 week training cycle leading up to SE Masters on 2/11.

139.8 lbs after workout.



No comments:

Post a Comment