Friday, March 31, 2023

WMACI World Masters Championships, 200m Semi final



I've been very lucky in my lane draws in these first 5 races, always having 5 or 6.  It's a huge disadvantage to have 1 or 2.   This Semi I drew lane 5 with Jorgen from Sweden in 6 to my outside.  He ran the fastest M60 indoor 200m in the world in 9 yrs this season.  He was world #1 until John W. bested him in the heat before.   

Martin from Trinidad was a no show in lane 4 so it was basically between me and Jorgen.   I stayed with him pretty closely until the top of the final turn about 140m.  He had 2 steps on me at that point but increased his lead to several meters by the end, running his fastest race of the meet in 25.19.   I hadn't run that fast in 6 yrs since S Korea.   I ran almost what I ran in round 1, just 26.11,  0.01 slower.  My last 50m was pretty slow.  

Anyway, it got me into the final later tonight as slowest qualifier, lane 1.  Finally, a terrible lane.  With no real chance to medal I decided at that point I'd run the final but not so hard that I would injure myself, because the M60 relay teams were depending on me for Saturday.   Since I'm the top USA M60 200m man, I'll be anchoring both the mens 4x200m and the mixed 4x200m relay.   It's a lot.  

It's nuts... 3 rounds of the 400m, 3 rounds of the 200m, and 2 4x200m relays.  I wonder if anyone else at this meet is doing this.  I rather doubt it.  

I'll do a separate post on the M60 200m final later.  Got to sleep.  Only slept about 3.5 hrs last night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment