Sunday, March 5, 2023

400m event run in new spikes



Spikes make a difference.  I guess I like 'em.

Beautiful weather, upper 68º and sunny.  Light S wind.

I got the new Adidas Prime SP2 spikes.  Initially I was pissed because they are more than an ounce heavier than advertised.  I had seen spec sheets saying these were 4.2 oz in sizes larger than mine.  Mine weigh 5.68 oz, about 0.4 oz more than the Nike MaxFlys.  It leads me to believe that these are a different production run from the same model black shoes the elites were using last year.  Perhaps a heavier nylon sole, which looks shiny on these, not like the black ones.  More on the shoes later.



Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2x100m

100m - 13.85

Adidas spikes on

100m - 13.26

400m - 57.72 (13.66, 14.15, 14.15, 15.76 / 27.81, 29.91 / 41.96, 15.76)

The first thing I did with these spikes was to run an easy 100m, somewhere around 400m race pace.   It was way faster than I expected for the effort.   I had intended to run sub optimum first 200m split, goal was 29/30.  I was way under 29.  My pace awareness is out the window with these shoes on.  I ran the last 100m into a slight headwind but 15.76 is a bit slow for the last 100m.  My 300m split about 42 was about optimum.  So, what started out as a calculated sub optimum pace, turned out to be pretty darn close to or right at an optimum event run.   I don't want to read too much into this because it was self timed w/ rolling start, but it would be the fastest time in the world right now.  And it felt relatively easy, no rigging.  Fastest training run in 2 yrs.  And this was not intended to be an all out effort / time trial.   Unexpected after a fairly subpar workout yesterday.   But yesterday's 27.4 in trainers would probably been mid 26s in these shoes.  

As I mentioned, I was ready to send the Adidas back until I tried them.  A fraction of an oz in weight is negligible compared to fit, feel, performance, and function.   You can lose several times as much weight by taking a pee.   I haven't run in these enough to make a final judgement but they are supremely comfortable without socks and don't seem to beat my foot up as much as the Maxflys.  They seem a bit narrower and more 'focused'.  They do seem bouncy, snappy, and tall.   I just may use them at Nationals.  Will decide in a few days.  Definitely a confidence booster.

138.2 lbs after workout.

I see that 2 Frenchmen M60 guys ran 58 at French Nationals.  But, only one of them will be at Worlds.  Lot's of competition.  Finally some results coming in to knock me down a few pegs in the rankings.  

1 comment:

  1. I suppose it’s confounded with equipment change but I’m thinking less was more and you are probably peaked. Hold the peak - trying to improve further risks sliding backwards at this point.

    ReplyDelete