Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Bike climb, workout schedule, countdown to Poland

Fair weather today and I couldn't bear to sit around and do nothing, and I didn't think it wise to do 2 running workouts on consecutive days, so I did a bike climb.  Low 50ºs and breezy, hazy sun.  

Bike climb up Roark's Cove - 22 min

The first half, the steep part I did in PR time of 10 min, but then backed off a bit and finished in 22 flat.  Actually a decent time.  There were cascades of ice-sickles clinging to the wall of bluff, an indication of how cold it has been past few days. Unusual for late March.   

Tomorrow the weather doesn't look good.  70%+ chance of rain (not showers, rain)... so I will probably move my last workout to Thursday morning.  Forecast: partly cloudy, windy, and 70º.  

I work Thurs and will be home by 8pm.  I'll be leaving the next morning at 9am, flying Chattanooga-Atlanta-Amsterdam-Gdansk.  If on time, I will arrive in Gdansk by noon, and hopefully at Torun registration by ~ 2:00pm.  I just got the text that allowed me to declare on line, so that is good and I won't have to be pressed to make it to the venue by 6pm, but I should easily anyway.   I purchased underground parking at the venue.  Was only $15 for the whole week.   

I just saw the detailed schedule and all my 400m races will be in the late afternoon and evening, which is great.  I much prefer racing in the evening instead of morning.  The 200m semis and finals are on the same day, Friday 3/31.  Semis 11:20am and Final 8:55pm local time.  Saturday is relay day.  There are 4x200 relays and new for this year 4x200 mixed relays.  If I'm ok I could do both.  They are 2.5 hrs apart.  They're paying $100 to relay members who win a medal (any color).  Prizes for individual events are $400, 200, $100.  

Anyway, it's getting real.  

Still pretty light, 137.8 lbs after bike ride.  

3 comments:

  1. Quite the experience. If I wasn’t atheist I’d call you blessed but you earned this opportunity. Nice result on the bike. I’ve just ordered a new cassette and chain for my MTB soon and will start riding soon but still skiing. Did my 50th ski of the season at Galena on Sunday the effort at elevation (7300 to 8000 feet) gave me a nice aerobic boost and I’ve pulled faster times on the erg since. Hit my goal of 50 skis I think I will set a new goal of a full 5 months of skiing which will require at least one ski April 11th or later. So much snow that won’t be a problem.

    This is just one of the many views along the Harriman trail , much better on a large screen. 7300 foot valley surrounded by 11 to 12k peaks.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDAHbPhXk8

    But it takes a lot of work to get those views

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6L_YWupPEfs

    A few technique elements, skate only, V2 (double pole each skate stride) and V1 (double pole every other skate stride) Always some technique elements to work on.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=osHnlcJRBgM




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great year Joe.... Yelverton 'the elder'.

      Delete
    2. Thanks and you too Mr. Bill

      Delete