Monday, March 13, 2023

Split 700, sled

Back to it.  This was especially hard.  First conditioning workout in 12 days, felt like starting over.  Couple that with cold, breezy conditions, and a lot of aches and pains ... it was brutal.  

I went to the track to workout at 1:30 and was surprised to see a lacrosse game going on.  I had to come back after 3:30 when it was colder and windier.  At least it was partly sunny.  40º, NW wind, wind chill mid 30ºs.   After running in spikes 5 of 7 days last week (Sun-Sat), my foot was especially hurting.  I could barely get on the ball of my foot in warmups.   My knee felt ok but I physio-taped it for support.  My lower back and upper glute was sore on the right side.  After warmups, it was all manageable.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2x100

Adidas trainers on

100m strider - 14.56

'split 700' - 500m - 82.97 / 90 sec rest / 200m - 34.29

4 x 65 yd sled pulls with 130 lbs

No 'one upsmanship' today.   I just wanted to get it done.  It was slower than my last 2 'split 700s' but thats ok.  The sled pulls were hard, done to failure.   It was like early season.  A little lung burn, was salivating hugely afterward for some reason. 

For me, peak fitness goes away so fast.  I'm going to keep the every other day regime on the track next 2 weeks, no spikes.  It will give me 5 more workouts.  3 of them will be hard conditioning, replicating my pre time trial workouts late Feb.  I may do a light 6th workout early Friday or Sat when I get to Poland.  It was tough today but it'll get less tough as I get back toward peak condition.  I sure miss that warm weather of a few weeks ago.  At least I don't seem to have any ham issues and I can resume a little resistance and prehab on off track days.

138.2 lbs after workout.   

Competition

World M60 400m champion John W. is in a class by himself.  No one is going to beat him unless he's hurt.  He ran an incredible 39.62 300m indoor yesterday.  That's 3x100m at 13.2 avg.   There are very few M60 guys that can run one 100m on an indoor track at that speed, let alone 3 consecutive.  He is definitely likely to break the WR.  All he would need is a 16 sec last 100 with that 300m time and it's a WR.  And, most astonishingly, I believe he is right at the end of the age group.  64 yrs old or near that.   What an amazing talent.  

  

1 comment:

  1. Not that anyone cares except me (I find the intersection of physics-chemistry-sport fascinating) - why is cold slower?. Ideal gas law states pV=nrt means as temperature drops number of molecules(n) in the same volume increases. Cold air is dryer- even on a humid day - as it can’t hold as much water vapor. Water in is gaseous form displaces oxygen and is lighter than oxygen (diatomic molecular weight of 32 to 18). The thing we call wind or wind resistance is the molecules bumping into us or us pushing them out of the way. If there is more of them or the ratio contains heavier molecules it takes more work to cut through them . And the more impact they have if windy. So basically warm humid air provides less resistance. Wind resistance is proportional to the square of velocity so the faster an object is moving the more difference it makes. So it is more of an impact with cycling. And of course colder means more clothes to catch the air and more weight. Rubber compounds have reduced elasticity which adds to rolling resistance (cycling) not sure how that works with running dynamics, track rebound, etc . Very long way of saying expect to have slower times in cold weather.

    The tape will not do anything to stabilize the knee but does provide neurological feedback that competes with other signals which may provide relief. Mostly provides psychological benefits to those so inclined. Practically though it is a waste of money and time.

    ReplyDelete