Saturday, August 6, 2022

More bike climbs, college coaching?

Yesterday I did another bike climb in about 24 min, same as the day before.  A good sweaty workout.  I need to start doing more resistance work with my lower body other than one set of RDLs a day.  Today, before the storms come, planning another bike climb.

I've been lately reconnecting with music, visiting friends, will be getting together with my students Monday.  I had planned to visit my family on Thursday with Roya but we're cancelling due to my father's covid infection.  He's going to be ok since he's had 4 shots.  I'm waiting for the variant specific booster that is supposed to be coming out in Sept.  I really don't want to get this virus.  I have a friend who is a super fit athlete at age 70 and he's been suffering from covid for a month, since getting it in Finland.  

Coaching?

Yesterday, as I was driving by the Fowler Center, I was flagged down by John S., the University Athletic Director.  He asked me if I would be interested in helping coach the Sewanee track team, and doing workouts with them.  I appreciate the fact he respects me as an athlete enough to ask.   I am reluctant to commit to a regular schedule but I would be happy to talk shop with the coaches and share my training philosophy and if I'm healthy, do workouts with some of the athletes who want to run the 400m / 200m perhaps one day a week.  The issue is that Sewanee's track team seems to be in disarray, poor participation, possibly disorganized, etc... They barely scored any points at the conference championships and finished in a distant last place.   I don't know Coach Bill C. well, but we've had a few chats.  He's not seemed particularly interested in what I do as an athlete, but I'm sure masters track is not his thing.  If he's willing to exchange ideas and give my methods a try, I'd be happy to share.  He has a couple mid level 100/200m sprinters, but no one that I know of that is a 400m standout.  The issue with DIII track is that, you have to identify the athletes that have the ability AND who really want to work to get better.  Otherwise, kids will sooner quit than submit to a training regime that causes them to suffer.  That type of mentality and lack of discipline seems to loom large, particularly in a place like Sewanee where athletics is really ancillary to the academic mission.   But, anyone who competes successfully in the 400m, must be able to tolerate some suffering and commit to such sacrifices.  Even at age 62, when I'm healthy, I could lead workouts for the men, even running a few steps behind, and certainly running faster than any of the women.  I never really wanted to be a coach due to the time constraints, but am willing to help if I can.  One of the first things I would suggest is to keep an organized record of workout performance, as I do on my blog.   It helps track progress and provides goals.

Had to quit eating bread for a few days, I'm beginning to get my weight back under control.  Was 141.5 after yesterdays bike climb.  Amazing how eliminating carbs has an immediate affect on my weight.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment